2019 POTD Thread Archive

POTD was making pivoting legs for a 10’ piece of skate conveyor I use for a side support table at my table saw. It’s so nice to be able to throw a 4’ x 8’ sheet sideways on the saw and cross cut it by myself.
Brilliant idea to use a chunk of skate conveyor!!! I'd not previously heard of doing this. Now I have something else to look for on Craigslist. Thanks!!!

A bracket for my DRO.

Did not want to make new holes in the column, so I decided to make a bracket and share the mounting holes with the spindle control box. Made it out of some scrap 8mm anodized aluminum plate.
7c4f72ad0117c2c8f428df32fe688691.jpg
46c996262e779e6a81511ad12dc8cc4b.jpg
bbd84d81fcfa8c7c88dbd548e6c4d966.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I tapped a couple #2-56 holes using my favourite “sensitive” tap handle. Works a treat and weighs next to nothing so it doesn’t feel as clumsy as a regular handle for really small taps.

1981421E-D586-431F-82AD-F187FFB3CBF2.jpeg

The holes were for two 0.120” brass inserts to allow me to attach an ABS grip to the top of this surplus punch I had lying around. I think the two holes might have been for small springs but the steel itself was way too hard to thread so I Loctited in a couple of threaded inserts. The punch itself is really nicely ground and very consistent. I checked it on the plate and I only get a tenth or two variation all around, so I’m going to use it as a makeshift cylindrical square. I’ve done stupid things before, so if this turns out to be another I can at least say I’m on a roll ;)

99F34AD5-E29F-4B5D-96A4-2490D1210557.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

400E68C7-4F93-4C31-ABB6-1934C696FFE8.jpeg

-frank

Buying an old (1974) GMC motorhome seems to have been the start of a journey down the rabbit hole. Maybe there will be a more complete story about that later. Known issues at purchase: Black tank destroyed and needs replacement - and replace all the flexible fuel lines as they were probably OEM and not happy with ethanol-laced fuel. So an R&R of two fuel tanks was likely in my immediate future.

These motorhomes have low ground clearance to start with and at my age it's not as much fun scooting around under vehicles on a creeper as it used to be - plus a bit of a clearance issue with my 36DD's, so I now had a good excuse to get a car lift. 4-Post. 14,000 capacity. Badass indeed.

I figured it would be cheaper in the long run to have my own lift instead of renting one - and none suitable were available close by anyway. It's amazing how one can rationalize the acquisition of a new tool, isn't it?

So after watching craigslist for about 6 months and finding nothing over and over again - I ordered a Bendpak.

It was shipped to our local NAPA store (they saved me a bit of $$$ versus ordering direct from Bendpak) because the delivery truck couldn't get up my driveway and unload in the available space. 17 feet long, 23 inches wide and 3 feet high, weight about 2,300 pounds. Not gigantic but awkward to handle.

The original plan was to have a rollback tow truck just slide it onto their truck bed and then slide it off at the house.

Looking at the delivered package, consisting of angle iron brackets at the ends, it was apparent that this baby wouldn't 'slide' in any conventional sense of the term. Visions of 'stuck' were abundant.

BP_EndView.jpg BP_Detail_1.jpg

So, I rummaged around in the 'stuff' and came up with some large-ish casters (6" Bassicks) and a couple of pieces of 3/8" x 5" steel bar stock.

The bar stock pieces were about 35 inches long (good news because it would give the package a wider stance and less likelihood of tipping over when we moved it) - so I marked spots for the casters to bolt on, other spots for through bolts to clamp to, a bit of punching and shearing on the ironworker - and voila! a pair of accessory bolt-on rollers.

BP_WideView.jpg BP_Roller_MCU.jpg

And the transfer went very smoothly - the whole megillah pulled smoothly up onto the rollback, and rolled right off at the house.

I love it when a plan comes together! Next step: Assemble the lift. Oh my aching back!

Most impressive, Gr8legs. I have to go look up a Bendpak and see what it is.. You may be the first on your block.

Congrats on the new lift. Had to read it twice, as my old male brain sort of froze up at the 36DD part. It looks like a two post lift, so take a little time to find your center balance point, and make or purchase a pair of adjustable height safety stands for the front and rear of your motor home. Cheers, Mike

hi gr8,

congrats! gonna need some pix of the motorhome. these are waaay cool and were well ahead of their time. what model is it and what are your plans for it?

Back