2019 POTD Thread Archive

Last couple of days i've been very busy, but i did managed to do some work on the Little Niva, but because i was working on it past midnight i had to keep the nose down so i did mainly mechanical work, started with draining the oil from the front diff, gearbox, transfer box, rear diff. Then i continued disassembling the drivers side suspension, and removing the axle from the diff, then i moved over to the other side, this side is more difficult, there is more rust and even more bad repairs, i broke one wrench and couple of bolts snapped off, but after couple of hours i managed to remove the axle from this side as well, i'm pretty sure i'll have to change couple of oil seals, because i drain just under 3 liters of gear oil from everything and there should be around 5 liters.
IMG_20190402_191213.jpgIMG_20190402_191225_1.jpgIMG_20190402_191248.jpgIMG_20190402_191300.jpgIMG_20190402_191316.jpg

Dialed in the lathe last night.
Leveled lathe bed.
Put a dti on a 1/2" endmill and set the bison 3 jaw set tru chuck to less than a couple tenths.
Placed a er40 6 sided hex block in the chuck. Run out followed what I had at the chuck, a couple tenths.
I'm happy:big grin:

Attachments

• 20190402_234310.jpg
    20190402_234310.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 31
Maybe while you're rebuilding the Niva you could put some "training wheels" on it? :grin:

images

Great build so far, by the way.

-Ron

I've had it suggested in the past that I mount training wheels to my motorcycles. These look a little more stable than what I saw at Western Auto and may have worked.

I've had it suggested in the past that I mount training wheels to my motorcycles. These look a little more stable than what I saw at Western Auto and may have worked.

Well, i wanted to comment that those training wheels look wider than the factory ones, Niva's use pizza cutter wheels.

Last couple of days i've been very busy, but i did managed to do some work on the Little Niva, but because i was working on it past midnight i had to keep the nose down so i did mainly mechanical work, started with draining the oil from the front diff, gearbox, transfer box, rear diff. Then i continued disassembling the drivers side suspension, and removing the axle from the diff, then i moved over to the other side, this side is more difficult, there is more rust and even more bad repairs, i broke one wrench and couple of bolts snapped off, but after couple of hours i managed to remove the axle from this side as well, i'm pretty sure i'll have to change couple of oil seals, because i drain just under 3 liters of gear oil from everything and there should be around 5 liters.
View attachment 291823View attachment 291824View attachment 291825View attachment 291826View attachment 291822
What is the ratio of rust to clean metal?:grin: I have restored a few 356 porsches back in the late 70s early 80s. They used to say about the if you pulled one into a garage turned off the lights and were very quiet, you could hear them rust. Great work, please continue

What is the ratio of rust to clean metal?:grin: I have restored a few 356 porsches back in the late 70s early 80s. They used to say about the if you pulled one into a garage turned off the lights and were very quiet, you could hear them rust. Great work, please continue

The Lada's don't have that much of a problem with rust, like Italian, pininfarina body cars, but my car has been ridden hard and put away wet, plus the previous owners repairs with newspaper, body filler and pop rivets made the problem worse. By the time i'm done there will be, a lot of new metal in it.

By the time i'm done there will be, a lot of new metal in it.
This forum has a special recognition for "Project of the Month." If they had something similar for "Understatement of the Month," I think you'd unquestionably be the winner! ;~)

Continued on with my powered bagger project from here (https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...you-make-in-your-shop-today.67833/post-654180), I tested it out today, and the belt stays on nicely.

After giving the mower an oil change and lube, I gave my ring roller a workout, to make some angled adapters for connecting the hose I have between the blower and the bags.
IMG_1400.jpg
IMG_1401.jpg

I need to get some hold-down clamps for holding the two ends of the hose in place and maybe make a simple belt cover both for safety and to prevent branches/brush from getting caught in the belt going to the blower.

Today i continued working on the Little Niva, first, i put couple of rags and a piece of styrofoam over the open end of the front diff, and beagan hammering, chipping the loose rust from the drivers side frame rail, there was more rust than metal and this took couple of hours, then i cut and shape an inner sleeve to reinforce the rail and welded it in. This added much needed strength in this crucial part of the unibody, then i began cleaning the outside frame part so i can put a new piece on. Looking thru my scraps, i found this piece that has some surface rust but is the right thickness and size, cutting it to shape did eat up two cutting discs, and because it was approaching midnight i was tired and in a hurry so i forgot to drill the holes for the bolts and welded it in, then drilling the bolts took twice as long, i had to add one thinner piece on the front to close the hole in the inner fender, last ting i did is to spray some more anti rust acid and took this picture, this job was unexpected and took way too long.
IMG_20190405_202954.jpg

Back