2019 POTD Thread Archive

Usually burn 7 to 8 cord but this year closer to 9 Bruce. Thats energetic to stack that high, I give up at 6 feet. Just for extra exercise I stack mine outside to dry for two summers then move it into the wood shed in the fall. The first year I stacked it in the wood shed right off the bat but it went musty, high humidity here in the summers.
I buy a load of logs in the winter, only have two acres here. For the price it saves a LOT of work. After 63 trips around the sun my back won't take being bent over running a saw so built a firewood processor a couple of years back. Still have to stack the wood but no sore muscles at the end of the day, just wore out.

Greg

My little piece of heaven . 45 acres up in Adirondack Park . No where near enough , but it's a start . :) When I can , I take the Kubota FEL up for the heavy work , but that makes for an expensive trip .
Your companion teared me up. I sure miss my Shelties.

Usually burn 7 to 8 cord but this year closer to 9 Bruce. Thats energetic to stack that high, I give up at 6 feet. Just for extra exercise I stack mine outside to dry for two summers then move it into the wood shed in the fall. The first year I stacked it in the wood shed right off the bat but it went musty, high humidity here in the summers.
I buy a load of logs in the winter, only have two acres here. For the price it saves a LOT of work. After 63 trips around the sun my back won't take being bent over running a saw so built a firewood processor a couple of years back. Still have to stack the wood but no sore muscles at the end of the day, just wore out.

Greg
Well, to be truthful, between 7 1/2 and 8 feet. When the rack against the wall gets near the top, I start filling the next one back and use that as a step to stack to full height. Last one back is filled with me standing in the cart for the height boost.

The store-bought splitter really sped things up this year. My father-in-law made the one on the Massey 35. It works fine, but takes close to 18 seconds to do a full stroke and doesn't have a hands-free return. So, hold the lever to split, then hold the lever to return. The commercial one takes 11.5 seconds for the full split cycle and has a hands-free return. Also has a couple of welded on braces for peeling off logs stuck on the wedge. Wish I'd have bought it 20 years ago.

Going to mow my parent's yard tomorrow. I'll shoot some pictures of their "Unicorn (pretty sure that's the name)" splitter he used to use on their John Deere garden tractor. Probably about as safe as Jarts. You bolted a big wood screw onto one of the rear wheels. Don't recall how the tubular steel frame mounted, but it jacked the tractor up on the screw side. There was a detail on the tubing that jammed into the tire on the ground to keep it from turning, so the differential just drove the wheel with the screw attached. Put the tractor in gear and watched that big screw turn . . . Pick up a log, hit the side on the screw and watch it split. Always had nightmares about getting my shirt or pant leg caught.

Bruce

Princess Auto (our Harbour Freight) sold those at one time, jacked the car or pickup up and put it on. Can imagine they took out a lot of fenders. Have seen one from England that goes on the pto of the tractor, it actually looks pretty slick. Wonder what happens though with the blocks the regular spitter can't break.

You guys need to move to a warmer climate if you have to have that much wood to stay warm. That or do more insulation.
You'd think looking at all the wood, you guys live in the Arctic. :p
I live in NE Kansas and the wind chill can get down to 20 below. I might use 2 - 3 cords in a winter and never used over 700 Gal of propane in a year.
3600 sq ft house and I am usually in shorts and a T shirt in the basement shop in the winter.

Right now we are thinking we might need to build an Ark if the rain keeps up. :sharkattack:

My original girl Roxy got killed by a car , she is the one on my profile pic . I now have 3 , Holly , Cooper and Charlie . A sable , a Blue Maltese and a Tri-color . They all love to camp ! :encourage:

i'm very sorry to hear about Roxy.

But i'm happy to hear you have the pack, you got :)

Last few days i've been busy sunup to sundown, but finally today i got back in the big garage and started to assemble the front passenger side suspension, started with greasing the wheel bearings, then i instal them and new seals. Then i got the fresh axle, installed a new gasket and assemble it with new locking bolts, and then mounted the hub on the a arms and started got the spring in, then come the hard job. The little Niva is on jack stands also is very disassembled, so there is not enough weight to compress the spring so i started to load up the front end with everything heavy i had close by, i also loaded the front foot well and started jacking up the lower a arm, i used two jacks for safety and managed to assemble the spring and get the shock absorber mounted i also used all new stainless hardware on all the ball joints, then i mounted the anti roll bar and stopped, i had to take off everything of the Niva and that was the last thing i had time for.
IMG_20190528_182354.jpgIMG_20190528_182400.jpgIMG_20190528_182411.jpgIMG_20190528_191340.jpg

Today i got a call from my brother his car has started to shake under braking, knowing how he drives treating every car like a rental i told him to buy new brake rotors and pads, he came couple of hours letter with his old rotors and said he could not found new ones till monday ( they are out of stock) so i agreed to turn them down on my lathe, they are cast iron so first i protected my lathe bed and mounted the disk, took a cut and it was pretty warped i re cut all meeting surfaces so it can run true, from the discoloration my brother probably drive thru water with the brakes hot, my phone die so i only took pictures from one side but i did manage to get them done and got him back on the road.
IMG_20190529_165848.jpgIMG_20190529_171844.jpgIMG_20190529_173456.jpg

Today i got a call from my brother his car has started to shake under braking, knowing how he drives treating every car like a rental i told him to buy new brake rotors and pads, he came couple of hours letter with his old rotors and said he could not found new ones till monday ( they are out of stock) so i agreed to turn them down on my lathe, they are cast iron so first i protected my lathe bed and mounted the disk, took a cut and it was pretty warped i re cut all meeting surfaces so it can run true, from the discoloration my brother probably drive thru water with the brakes hot, my phone die so i only took pictures from one side but i did manage to get them done and got him back on the road.
View attachment 295756View attachment 295757View attachment 295755

Hey you do own a machine besides a welder :p

Nice work! what kind of lathe is it? and what's the size of those brake rotors?

Back