2020 Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't just Englishmen that use that reference. I had an Italian motorcycle, Moto Guzzi, with a Lucas electrical system. One of my first "jobs" on rebuilding the machine was to "correct" the Lucas system. It is (was) well known in the States as well.

Engineered to fail.

All the brit bikes I rode had 6V lucas electrics ultra dim lights.
When 12V alternator electrics came out it was a revelation.
There was I believe a straight swap magneto from another manufacturer that was reputed to be the best but I cant remember anything else about it other than we would brag it was on our bike.

I had a couple of BSA 650s, it was a toss-up, were the electrical issues worse than the oil leaks or the bloody Amal carbs.

I friend of mine has a bumper sticker on his Austin-Healey, “The parts falling off this car, are of the finest British manufacture”

Wish I still owned this one
bsa.jpg
Never leaked oil until the rocker oil line broke and spewed over the back tyre just as I was entering a roundabout at too high a speed.
Didnt drop it but did shimmy to a halt with a beating heart.
Nothing wrong with amal carbies but that linkert on my 45 was a pos, I replaced that with an su, WOW what a boost in acceleration and top speed from such a simple mod.

I had a couple of BSA 650s, it was a toss-up, were the electrical issues worse than the oil leaks or the bloody Amal carbs.

I friend of mine has a bumper sticker on his Austin-Healey, “The parts falling off this car, are of the finest British manufacture”
I understand that Brits were not as likely to have private automobiles back in those days, and if they did, their cars were not daily drivers. You would work on a British car all week so you could drive it on Sunday.

My mum and dad were called the "Duke and Duchess" of Bedfont in the mid 50's as they were the first to own a motor car in our neighborhood.
It was a V8 Pilot, dad would fill it up with kids and take them to school when ever it was raining and his shifts would allow.

It isn't just Englishmen that use that reference. I had an Italian motorcycle, Moto Guzzi, with a Lucas electrical system. One of my first "jobs" on rebuilding the machine was to "correct" the Lucas system. It is (was) well known in the States as well.
Wish I still had the "Goose". I can't ride anymore, but that machine "felt" more like a M/C should feel than any I've before or since. Honda, Suzuli, Kawasaki, Harley, Norton, BSA, they were all "good" bikes. Just didn't "feel" right.

I suspect an old CHP bike, no tach, just the huge speedometer and "running lights" forward. And a "fat-bob" gas tank (6.5 gal). I used Japanese electrical parts on the handle bars but kept the square slide DelOrto carburators. Had it down to the only thing that gave trouble was an occasional tuning of those carburators, often as I rode.

The generator sat mid-ships between the jugs, a Bosch, I think. Had an adjustable pulley to tighten the belt drive. Floorboards with left side shifter adaptor and right side adapted brakes, American style. All mechanical, no hydraulics. Sort of looked like an Elderado or G5. Almost, but still different. Always ran, some days better, some days worse, but always ran.

No point to the post, just remenissing. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back