2020 POTD Thread Archive

Not so much what I did today. Some months ago I started a project that is going to take quite a long time.

I'm going to make a vertical spindle milling attachment for my lathe, on account of I don't have enough room for a stand alone milling machine.

Rather than write the project up here in POTD where the various stages will most likely get lost I'm going to write it up in the Moderators Project area, so I can keep it all together.

Last edited:
cant wait for this one Bob, I have an old drill press sitting here that I wanted to do something like that

Thanks Charles, It's going to be a long slow process, I don't get a lot of shop time, some weeks only an hour or so. Just have too many things on the go. I have 4 main hobbies. Riding my Harley, travelling around our great country with our caravan, Houseboating on the Murray, and making stuff.

I really miss riding my old Harley.
Me and the missus rode it all over the UK.
I even had a special rack to hold my surfboard.
(A pommy surfer sent to Townsville. gah!)
I had to leave it there when we emigrated in 87 as I knew it would not have passed the inspection for rego.
hd1.jpghd2.jpg
All home built of course.

I really miss riding my old Harley.
Me and the missus rode it all over the UK.
I even had a special rack to hold my surfboard.
(A pommy surfer sent to Townsville. gah!)
I had to leave it there when we emigrated in 87 as I knew it would not have passed the inspection for rego.
View attachment 315102View attachment 315103
All home built of course.
Very nice! That's what you call LIVIN.

Nice bike, as you probably know home built bikes are extremely difficult to register here. Even just modifying a standard model with all approved parts is not much short of a nightmare.

Back in 2012 I had my 2010 Road King converted to trike using a type approved kit, with all the work done by a registered bike mechanic. we still had to get an engineers report and putover the Veh's dep't pits for full examination, to get it registered.

Nice job on the 45. Always had a soft spot for flatheads, had a buddy rode an 80"er for many years. I remember back in the 60's the 45's could be had for $50. Mike

Oops, this should be in "what did you buy today". Don't know how to change this. Sorry.

Checking more on the eBay dividing head I posted about here, I continue to be impressed.

The chuck runout TIR is reasonable at about 3.7 thousandths, using a 0.75” gauge pin 1” out from the jaws. The spindle runout itself is quite good, less than 3 tenths. An unexpected bonus is the chuck has a 1.5-8 thread, bet I can figure out how to use this on the rotary table also.

I see that the head tilt locking knob was bent in shipping, doesn’t work (yet) but does not seem critical, since there are two large clamp bolts that do the real work. Checked the head angle calibration etched on the side, it’s as accurate as you could expect or need for a visual scale.

There is a kind of goofy Circlip that holds and tensions the dividing arms that needed significant trimming just for usability. I think the people who make these things don’t really understand how they are used, so miss stuff like this. The way it comes, rotating the crank messes up the dividing arms. Not too hard to fix, but WTF?

It’s all good. :)

Last edited:
I did a bit of work on the motor and heads, slung an SU carb on it that after a couple of weeks tuning it with different jets and needles (a nightmare) I managed to get it very responsive and could almost hit the ton (100 mph)
My wife called it the HJ not HD from the way people did a double take when we went by. (head jerker)
One weekend when we went surfing down in Cornwall we pulled into the servo for a coffee and when we came out a cop car was parked close by watching us.
The bike had the high sissy bar for holding all the camping gear, the sleeping bags were tied to the front forks with the surf board in its rack down the LHS.
They watched us climb on, drive to the fuel court, fill up, then followed us 2 miles down the road until obviously satisfied how it handled turned off and left us alone.
Little did they know I started it in second gear and left it there till they disappeared.
It had a suicide clutch and jocky shift and because of the surf board down the side I had to shift my butt over to reach the gear shift and I didnt want then seeing that.
It had so much torque that starting and running in second gear was no problem.
Ahhh, awesome days. Wish I had a photo of it fully laden.

Back