2020 POTD Thread Archive

eugene13

Registered
Registered
Nice job. Are you worried about water leaking under the soap dish and into the cabinet? Wondering too if magnets will stick to the stainless steel sink. Should be easy to set them on the sink and see if they stick, plus, it'd answer your polarity question. Might need an O-ring or something on the boss to seal the hole.

Bruce
Thanks for the O-ring idea, a nice finishing touch, and yes, the sink is magnetic.

I thought about silver soldering and then welding but I realized I would melt the solder and have a disaster. I TIG welded the bases of the hex pieces together and then ground the base smooth. I then TIG welded the group to the end of tubing. You cannot safely use the lathe on this because you will likely catch and bend one of the longer hex pieces (I did it.) Instead, I used a belt grinder to shape and blend the hex group into the tube.
Thanks for your interest.
Robert
Thanks for clearing that up. It’s very cool. As soon as I first saw one, I knew it wasn’t an easy project. Didn’t think it through but right, silver solder definitely wouldn’t work. And the lathe / hex issue makes sense too. Very cool. Thanks again.

Thanks for the O-ring idea, a nice finishing touch, and yes, the sink is magnetic.

O ring or some other gasket. Then a screw from under to hold it down? Make a cup with a hole in it that would match up with the round boss placed through the hole then bolt/screw holds it down and keeps the gasket in place. Maybe wing nut or thumb screw to be able to get it off to clean?

I bit more work on the lathe, Started with cleaning and painting this driveshaft yoke, now i can see the factory markings. Then i mounted the spare tire rim clean off both sides of the new centre i made for it, it runs thru and well balanced. I spin it to 1200 rpm to get a better finish and there are no vibrations. Now it needs a bit of paint and a tire on it.
IMG_20200102_105436.jpgIMG_20200102_110227.jpgIMG_20200102_113727.jpgIMG_20200102_121829_2.jpgIMG_20200102_122334.jpgIMG_20200102_122957_1.jpg

I made a bending form for the 20 ton press, out of 2” angle iron and some channel the same width. But the thing is, in welding the stuff together, it reinforced what a terrible welder I am. But the worse the welder I am, the better the grinder I become. I got my 20 year old Harbor Freight angle grinder out, and in a few minutes it actually looked pretty good.
Now my main point is this: In the process I broke the side handle off. I paid $10 for the grinder back then, they have gone up surprisingly little. New handles are in the $8 range, but shipping, delay, etc. And here is all this equipment that people are always asking “what do you make with this”. Obviously, angle grinder handles would be a good answer, and think of the savings. :)

So, I had some Delrin in stock, turned a handle to fit the 8mm screw in the body, went to Ace hardware for a 3” 8mm bolt that was $3 all by itself, and after a few minutes on the Takisawa I had a handle.

And that, folks, is why we need all this equipment.

Today the weather was unusually warm. This gave me the opportunity to wash my cars, i have cars that haven't seen daylight or water in 2-3 years. After couple of hours washing one after another it come time to wash the Mi16x4 that has been in the background of the big garage, it had a bit of dust on it. Getting it started wasn't hard fired up on the first crank but the hydraulic rear suspension has bottomed out, not sure has it developed a leak but the reservoir was empty, i had very little fluid and add it it but did not help, so i drove it like that to the other garage and gave it a good wash, the paint come back fine, under all that dust there is a show winning paint job, by the time i finished the sun has come down. So it was freezing by the time i got it pulled back in the big garage. I need to make me a car cover to protect it.
IMG_20200103_153800.jpgIMG_20200103_153811.jpgIMG_20200103_153829lllll.JPGIMG_20200103_160055hhhh.JPGIMG_20200103_161721.jpg

When I originally rebuilt my milling machine I just went with a simple on/off switch for it. I now have a job I'm working on with over a hundred 1/2-13 holes to be tapped so it's time to add reverse as an option so I can power tap them both ways. Even though the original holes lined up perfect I had to relocate the new drum switch a little further away as the lever contacted the mill head when going into reverse. A simple aluminum adapter plate had to be made to complete the job.

Mill Switch Mod.JPG

Today i had the day off and i have few days to take off, so this is the perfect time to get my daily driver to look a bit better, the hood has peeling clear coat, the front and rear bumpers look like they are straight out of war zone. Because is so cold i have to work in the big garage and the Mi16x4 is sitting there. So i put on couple of pieces of foam on the edges and wrapped it in plastic. I opened the windows a bit and cut openings in the plastic. Then pushed it back in its place and pulled the daily 605 in the garage. And made a list to buy supplies. More to come. Thanks for looking.
IMG_20200104_123709kkk.JPGIMG_20200104_125226.jpgIMG_20200104_125219.jpgIMG_20200104_124757kkkkk.JPGIMG_20200104_124805kkkkkk.JPG

100 1/2-13s ? I'd be considering a auto tapping head . :)
I did look into it but I've decided to go this route instead because while the tapping head would make this job much easier it would likely spend most of the time thereafter on the shelf. At least a tapping head that can hold a 1/2-13 tap.

Back