2021 POTD Thread Archive

is it sharp? it's hard to tell from the pic. but if you were working with a sharp metal edge all day, you would not like it.
I had a spackling knife like that and when doing my basement, it really left me raw.. so I always think, do I want to handle that all day.
plus, sharp may leave some marks on some stock.

Yeah. I'll soften the edges a bit.

the other night I turned some new carbon brushes for my dremel 280 (about 50 years old).
I have been having problems finding brushes, so I decided to rummage a box I bought at a garage sale about 10 years ago.
I found the right size width and height, but not the right length, or spring boss.

So with a razor saw I cut to length, and then in the lathe using a round er32 collet chucked my square brush.
a little too long.. but success. This box appears to be from at least 1954 based on the writing on it... from EAGLE ... I assume the same eagle as our oilers and electrical outlets (long ago).20210909_120149.jpg
sorry no pics of the operation or finished brushes.. just out there for ideas if you ever need it.

So with a razor saw I cut to length, and then in the lathe using a round er32 collet chucked my square brush.
a little too long.. but success. This box appears to be from at least 1954 based on the writing on it... from EAGLE ... I assume the same eagle as our oilers and electrical outlets (long ago).View attachment 377952
sorry no pics of the operation or finished brushes.. just out there for ideas if you ever need it.

Wow! They look new.

That box of brushes is indeed a valuable resource ... and a heck of a harage sale score!

I made a vise handle using cut-off sockets. It was my first time cutting threads, for the handle post. And I got to use my taper attachment for the handle.

IMG_0088-2.JPG
IMG_0089-2.JPG
edit: I did run a die over my threads to clean them up a bit. And this project also presented a reason to use my 3-axis vise (not necessary but was kind of fun).
44C1D003-9343-4C76-A61C-11BAB1A59FD2.jpeg

Last edited:
Got a 5" 6 jaw Buck chuck that turned out to have a missing tooth on the pinion and a fair bit of wear on the teeth either side of the gap. Plus the key hole was really wallowed out (it's had a hard life I think). I ground out a slot where the tooth was and my friend used his MIG welder to fill in the gap and the keyhole
IMG_0221 (1).JPG

spent some quality time with the Dremel and ground a new tooth, then drilled out the keyhole and tidied it up with a carbide burr.
IMG_0221 (2).JPG
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0221 (3).JPG

keyhole ended up a bit off center and kinda ugly, but the key fits snugly now, which is what matters!

Got it dialed in to a bit under 0.0005" and it appears to repeat to that too, at least at that diameter. We'll see how it does across its diameter range.
IMG_0221 (5).JPG

got a buddy to keep it company too :)
IMG_0221 (4).JPG

That's one heck of a job for a Dremel! Congratulations on a successful effort.

thanks! I was very very careful :) Feels smooth as anything too, you can't tell that it's been repaired from the outside.

Back