2021 POTD Thread Archive

try this... flipped with irfanview
View attachment 378338
I have a themac too. a different older model. mine is primarily for inside grinding.
you know you can change the pulleys to increase speed. just swap which shaft they are on.

great little precision grinders.. just make sure to oil it. I use spindle oil.. not sure if that's right.
Woodchucker! I do like your uninverted pic better - so, I'll definitely have to check out the recommended flipper!

Yes, I have long inside grinding spindles - some of which are not listed in their catalog. In fact the as received J-4 had a 2 - 5 pulley setup with a 449 belt (also not in the catalog). So, I have 5 pulley sizes for the J-2A1 & J-4 + 2 extra spindles + 3 different sized replacement belts & a modicum of arbors for a tool drawer's plethora of stones. Alas, I must make more stone mounting arbors to fit my needs though. Part of the fun though!!!

Using the weekend to build a shed for all the yard/garden stuff…. I was naive thinking I could build this in a weekend…

I have never donde this… just me and my wife building it from scratch. It is not even a kit…

10’x12’ with 6’ walls… 10’ tall at its highest point.

One wall and the roof to go… oh, and a ramp… oh, and the doors…

View attachment 377447

View attachment 377448
Yep….I’ve built a couple of things all by myself. I’ve got a lot respect for each and every tradesman. Go ahead and build something like that shed and I guarantee that you’ll gain a lot of respect for framers and carpenters. It’s a skilled trade in my opinion.

Another day, another 3D printed tool organiser. I found this on thingiverse, but the base portion of it was really difficult to print - the stretchers at the bottom (or top, depending on how you orientated it on the print bed) of the stand required a lot of support material and it just kept failing fo me.

So I redesigned the base part to require no supports at all if printed the correct way round (small side down).

IMG_0392.JPGIMG_0393.JPGIMG_0394.JPG

It's nice having them out on the bench where I can see them and grab the one I need without much fuss.

Not in the shop but there's a machine in the picture along with 15 yards of compact fill. Subbing the slab out and I wont have time to lay the stone until Christmas hiatus, so the heavy lifting is done for now!

98F48F29-0856-4AF5-9339-DA6A0E869EAE.jpeg

That looked like a lot of work. But came out great.

Another day, another 3D printed tool organiser. I found this on thingiverse, but the base portion of it was really difficult to print - the stretchers at the bottom (or top, depending on how you orientated it on the print bed) of the stand required a lot of support material and it just kept failing fo me.

So I redesigned the base part to require no supports at all if printed the correct way round (small side down).

View attachment 378535View attachment 378536View attachment 378537

It's nice having them out on the bench where I can see them and grab the one I need without much fuss.

What are the dimensions? My 3D printer's bed is only 6"x6". What printer are. you using?

What are the dimensions? My 3D printer's bed is only 6"x6". What printer are. you using?
A prusa Mk3s. If I recall Correctly (as I don't have my laptop to hand with the files) it’s 180ish by 50mm (7 x 2”) at the smallest dimension - the top. You might be able to fit the parts in one at a time if you where to orient them diagonally on the print bed.

Needed another tool holder, and well, I really disliked having to use an AXA for my dial indicator and for my bump center bearing.
So I decided I had some pieces of delrin already drilled and tapped for 1/4 20, just need to put a dovetail in. I haven't added the height adjustment yet, as I don't know if I like this yet. it feels more flimsy than the aluminum version it is replacing. time will tell. if I redo it in al, it will be similar to this new version. I don't want to waste tool holders for easily made tools.
so the jury is still out.
bump_center_tool.jpg
20210915_130844.jpg

Woodchucker, Often, all we have to enable us to gain the necessary next evolution is 'time'. That's how modern cars can best our beloved Musclecars (I'll stick with the muscle though). Wish I had an idea for you. I've only made my tool holders out of steel; so, have no experience with the rigidity issues induced by lighter materials. Seems the usual solution is to beef up the design though.

Back