2021 POTD Thread Archive

I just finished my a chuck swap between my rotary table and my Clausing 6329. This L00 backplate was 1 1/4" thick × 8" dia. I had to remove a ton of cast iron. The raised part in the center is 1" thick and the rest is now 3/4" thick. So much cutting, and so much dust that I had to wear my welding respirator. It came out ok. Zero runout on the edge and just over .0005 on the face after drilling the holes and remounting it. Now I have a nice tight 4 jaw on my lathe and more Z on the mill.
20211224_154732.jpg20211226_164638.jpg20211226_172455.jpg20211226_172519.jpg

Not much done today... drove from Orlando to the house in Ocala...

Drove the VW Bug out of the garage to be able to move the lathe... Removed the lumber that I need to return to the seller... I think the lathe will stay in this spot. I placed the 4"x4"s so that I can install the leveling feet/pads. Not sure if the distance from the wall is enough... I want to have enough space to get back there if I needed to... will see...

Also stopped by Lowes to get a matching plug for the lathe... receptacle is right behind it.

IMG_3843.jpeg

Also made a pallet to move the milling over to it... I also need to return the pallet the milling came with... I wanted a smaller footprint.

But for the life of me, I can't seem to be able to move it over to the new pallet. Afraid it will tilt.

IMG_3841.jpeg

I moved the mill from where you see it in this photo, to the middle of the single garage space... Wished I had taken photos, but I was alone and I was just too focused on trying to get it of the pallet...

IMG_3842.jpeg

I tried using a engine hoist. The red one you see in the photo next to the milling machine. No way to get it in the right position (legs are too narrow) to be able to lift it while I swap the pallet.

Then I tried using a 4"x4" and a 2"x4" across the bottom of the knee... Lowered the knee so it rested on the 4"x6". Lifted the pallet with the pallet jack... placed 4x4's under the one across... Stacked them up to the one across. Then started to lower the pallet and the mill started to tilt... raised the pallet again... I went ahead and slid the head forward, trying to off-set the weight... Tried again, no good...

Sorry, no photos of this process...

Trying to see how I can do this without having to buy a gantry crane... Next try, since I just saw that the johnson/pry bar arrived, is to use the bar to lift The mill off the pallet enough to slide a 2"x8"x6' across the back... then do the same with one across the front... And use a car jack to slowly lift each corner and stacking 4x4 and 2x4s under it, just enough to get it off the pallet so I can slide it out and slide the new one in...

Anyway, that will have to wait until next year... heading to Mississippi to visit my uncle.... just a quick run there, spend a day with him, and hurry back to spend New Year's eve home...

Last edited:
@wachuko

This is just an idea off the top of my head. I've not done it, but it makes sense to me.

Assuming the two pallets are the same height (or you can make the two top surfaces coplanar).
Butt the two pallets together and use a ratchet strap to secure them together.
Buy (maybe) six cheap HDPE cutting boards about 1/2" thick. Lift the mill as required to place the cutting boards under the mill's contact points.
Use a come-along (or ratchet straps) to pull (slide) the mill over to the new pallet. Maybe you could arrange things so you can use a hitch ball on a vehicle as an anchor for the pull. Drive the rear wheels of the vehicle onto some lumber or plywood, extended to the pallet so the pallets don't slide on the floor.

Instead of cutting boards, a sheet of tempered Masonite is plenty slippery enough, but obviously, must be fully supported at all times.

What do you think?

@wachuko

This is just an idea off the top of my head. I've not done it, but it makes sense to me.

Assuming the two pallets are the same height (or you can make the two top surfaces coplanar).
Buy (maybe) six cheap HDPE cutting boards about 1/2" thick. Lift the mill as required to place the cutting boards under the mill's contact points.
Use a come-along (or ratchet straps) to pull (slide) the mill over to the new pallet. Maybe you could arrange things so you can use a hitch ball on a vehicle as an anchor for the pull. Drive the rear wheels of the vehicle onto some lumber or plywood, extended to the pallet so the pallets don't slide on the floor.

Instead of cutting boards, a sheet of tempered Masonite is plenty slippery enough, but obviously, must be fully supported at all times.

What do you think?
the HDPE might work.
Also you might pick up a few 3/4 black pipe and roll it from one pallet to the next. Whatever you do make sure the head is down so the CG is as low as possible. Can you use you car lift to assist you in lifting?

Don't rush this, think it out.

Guys, can a wells index be lifted by the table from underneath????
Weight must be about 2000 lbs, maybe 2500 lbs.
Anyone know.. your lift if capable might be able to lift by the table just enough to get the new pallet under.

Again don't rush.

Not much done today... drove from Orlando to the house in Ocala...

Drove the VW Bug out of the garage to be able to moved the lathe... Remove the lumber that I need to return to the seller... I think the lathe will stay in this spot. I placed the 4"x4"s so that I can install the leveling feet/pads. Not sure if the distance from the wall is enough... I want to have enough space to get back there if I needed to... will see...

Also stopped by Lowes to get a matching plug for the lathe... receptacle is right behind it.

View attachment 389905

Also made a pallet to move the milling over to it... I also need to return the pallet the milling came with... I wanted a smaller footprint.

But for the life of me, I can't seem to be able to move it over to the new pallet. Afraid it will tilt.

View attachment 389906

I moved the mill from where you see it in this photo, to the middle of the single garage space... Wished I had taken photos, but I was alone and I was just too focused on trying to get it of the pallet...

View attachment 389907

I tried using a engine hoist. The red one you see in the photo next to the milling machine. No way to get it in the right position (legs are too narrow) to be able to lift it while I swap the pallet.

Then I tried using a 4"x4" and a 2"x4" across the bottom of the knee... Lowered the knee so it rested on the 4"x6". Lifted the pallet with the pallet jack... placed 4x4's under the one across... Stacked them up to the one across. Then started to lower the pallet and the mill started to tilt... raised the pallet again... I went ahead and slid the head forward, trying to off-set the weight... Tried again, no good...

Sorry, no photos of this process...

Trying to see how I can do this without having to buy a gantry crane... Next try, since I just saw that the johnson/pry bar arrived, is to use the bar to lift The mill off the pallet enough to slide a 2"x8"x6' across the back... then do the same with one across the front... And use a car jack to slowly lift each corner and stacking 4x4 and 2x4s under it, just enough to get it off the pallet so I can slide it out and slide the new one in...

Anyway, that will have to wait until next year... heading to Mississippi to visit my uncle.... just a quick run there, spend a day with him, and hurry back to spend New Year's eve home...
I’d be trying to get the mill on the ground.

If it’s going to live on a pallet it should be metal and bolted to it, someone on here built a really nice one with outriggers for their mill. Buy rent or build a suitable gantry crane, or install a two post lift. That’s too nice a machine to trust to box store lumber IMHO….

John

If it’s going to live on a pallet it should be metal and bolted to it, someone on here built a really nice one with outriggers for their mill. Buy rent or build a suitable gantry crane, or install a two post lift. That’s too nice a machine to trust to box store lumber IMHO….

John
It will go on the floor…for now, I just need it on a pallet to be able to move it around…. I want to clean it, install VFD, power drawbar, etc.

I can’t place it on the floor now because the VW bug is there… so I need to first build the workshop to move the car projects over… only then can I get it off the pallet and place it directly on the floor…

C8986913-4045-486B-81EE-BB6D7E88B253.jpeg

We are not moving here to Ocala for another couple of years…I just could not pass up getting these two machines when I found them.

I want a gantry crane…I just did not wanted to buy it now… well, I might need to get that earlier than expected…

Last edited:
the HDPE might work.
Also you might pick up a few 3/4 black pipe and roll it from one pallet to the next. Whatever you do make sure the head is down so the CG is as low as possible. Can you use you car lift to assist you in lifting?

Don't rush this, think it out.

Guys, can a wells index be lifted by the table from underneath????
Weight must be about 2000 lbs, maybe 2500 lbs.
Anyone know.. your lift if capable might be able to lift by the table just enough to get the new pallet under.

Again don't rush.
@wachuko

What do you think?
The two pallets are the same height!! Why did I not think about that!!!??

Strap them together and use pipes!!

I do not have the car lift here… still at the other house. The milling machine was 3,020 lbs when new… must be a few hundred pounds more now with all the grime and chips :p :p

Buy pipes and a come along. Use the pry bar to gently lift it to get the pipes under it. Come along attached to the truck… yeah! That will do it!

Thank you!!!!

EDIT : Well, I ordered a gantry crane…

Last edited:

John
nothing wrong with the wood pallet he built. It will hold the mill. I have seen many wood pallets for mills as solutions. Not many metal pallet solutions.

Back