2021 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks. It took a couple of tries of layout. I finally settled on 7.5" rise and 9" run. I just barely got 12 steps in the 12 foot board.

So far so good!
Would be a good idea to support the staircase 1/2 way up and make storage shelves underneath.

Are you going to add a handrail as well?

Last edited:
2 rises + 1 run should = 25" to be most comfortable for anything more than 5 steps. So your setup = 24".
This is from 'Modern Carpentry' book and what I have done since I learned that. If there are less than 5 steps and especially if there is a straight walk coming to it, then a longer run feels better. Also the book says no more than 3/16" difference in height but it's too easy to trip on a higher step if it's more than 1/8" higher. Try for equal here.
Aaron

Those look great for a first effort, or any effort for that matter. I've built many stairs over the years, and always enjoyed the process. Before I left for the beach I got the 12" steel channel sections that I will be using for the shop staircase, and set it on the top rails of my trailer, where it can be easily reached when I get back the end of January. Mike

I need to do that as well in 1/2 of my shop that has a loft above.
But I hate to lose the 3 feet of width where they would have to go!

But I hate to lose the 3 feet of width where they would have to go!
That was my initial concern when I first built the office and went with a ladder to the top. After using the automotive area for a while and seeing that there was plenty of room with a vehicle in there I decided to go ahead and build the stairs. Plus as you mentioned I am going to make up for the lost room by using the area underneath the stairs for storage and such.

In my case the stairs would reduce the width to about 15' plus whatever length they would use as well.
Gusse one could rig up a way to raise them up out of the way, like with a boat winch pr something similar.

Gusse one could rig up a way to raise them up out of the way, like with a boat winch pr something similar.
That is what I would try or incorporate folding stairs somehow like the ones that go up to an attic.

Back