2021 POTD Thread Archive

My recent kick is vintage machines, both to use them as well as just because I think they’re cool. I come from a large family of stitchers and I expect that’s where I get the interest from.

Anyway, I wanted a small caddy for tools more or less specific to the machines, or at least how I choose to use them for the machines. Something that would hold the requisite items close to hand but not in the standard tackle box style and not too big, so I came up with this.

I bent an open-cornered box of sheet metal to help give some structure, and the size is built around the typical tools as well as a standard pack of Q-Tips, and the canvas was leftover scrap from who knows what (actually part of that scrap were the legs of my old Carharts). The stitching is a little rough in places but I’m happy nonetheless.

Thanks for looking.

-frank

1F1FF43B-3528-46B3-8B8A-2CBDCD29EC1F.jpeg
EB493EDB-94A1-4E8E-A52A-5A816DA7EF19.jpeg

F909D776-E25D-4CA3-82A7-63E10261380D.jpeg

I always get bored shaking rattle-cans. If I make a Sawzall shaker for that, I'm definitely using nylock nuts. I can just see a can sailing across the shop. :eek:

I made a tool post grinder: scrap aluminum poured in to a Yam can, bored on the lathe to fit pneumatic die grinder, milled to fit tool holder. Did a trial on a piece of scrap steel. works but need to use a smaller mounted stone so I can run it faster.

Attachments

• DSC_9706.JPG
    DSC_9706.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 26
My two twenty-something sons are using painting small models as a distraction during the lock-down.

I'd often see them watching TV while shaking a little paint bottle or two; that gave me an idea.

I pulled together some parts: aluminum t-slot extrusion, some matching bolt and nuts, a couple scraps of aluminum round and angle....grind the teeth off a well-used sawzall blade.......

View attachment 353600

The cups or clamp pads were drilled and bored, before being brazed to short scraps of aluminum angle:
(I used bernzomatic brazing rods)
View attachment 353602

View attachment 353603

The short socket-head cap screw heads go in the slot in the extrusion to keep the clamp pads from spinning the wrong way during adjustment.

View attachment 353605

The paint shaker is driven by my cordless Milwaukee Hackzall.

Does it shake?

Yes it does:

View attachment 353606

A fun and useful little project.

-brino
Ah, shaken, not stirred. Love it!

Bruce

nothing very exciting, but none the less very useful. My previous car (Outback) had the oil filter upside down between the exhaust pipes = oil on the exhaust every oil change. That car got totalled but it turns out our new car (Pilot) has a similar PITA oil filter placement - upside down right over a frame rail. I used the oil wrench holder that I had made for the Outback but it leaked, so I remade it a bit more robust. Should last alot longer leak free now :)
IMG_0069.JPGIMG_0070.JPG

I made this 2 days ago, & I didn’t like the way it turned out (the base was too thin). I redid it by brazing on another sheet to the old, thin base.

I also enlarged the holes so that it fits on 2 different face plates.

I would imagine that I will put on both at the same time, with the second acting as a counterweight.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had to make one of these more narrow because it almost interfered with the dead center on the 10” lathe.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
nothing very exciting, but none the less very useful. My previous car (Outback) had the oil filter upside down between the exhaust pipes = oil on the exhaust every oil change. That car got totalled but it turns out our new car (Pilot) has a similar PITA oil filter placement - upside down right over a frame rail. I used the oil wrench holder that I had made for the Outback but it leaked, so I remade it a bit more robust. Should last alot longer leak free now

Brilliant.
Why the heck didn't I think of that!
-brino

thanks, pretty sure I stole that idea from somewhere else :) It's a little worrying watching the oil rise up the side, but it's never gone over the top yet!

I got something like that with one of my lathes, could not figgure out what it may be for. I'll have to see if I still have it.

image-jpg.353724

Maybe I should keep notes with the books for my tools, for the extra things like this I make. It might be useful for who ever sells my stuff after I leave this place.

Back