2021 POTD Thread Archive

Today i have the day off both workplaces, so i spend it in the garage. My brother's blue 206 is done in the paint shop but now it needs to be assembled and to get a A/C, interior, drivetrain transfer from the orange one. That means i need to take the orange 206 apart and send it to heaven (scrapyard). The front sheet metal from it was better and vent on the blue one before it went to the paint shop so take off the blue panels was easy, they had only few bolts holding them on. Then i moved to removing the door panels, removed the outside trim, mirrors, locks and many other things. Than i drain the coolant and washer fluid and removed the radiators, and unplugged all the electrical and coolant hoses to get the engine ready to drop out. With that done i moved over to the interior, removed everything, then i remove the doors and all the insolation, it comes apart pretty easy. I need to cut out the windscreen next but decided it's enough so i stopped, not bad work for workday.
IMG_20210702_230438.jpgIMG_20210702_230423.jpgIMG_20210702_230431.jpgIMG_20210703_182924.jpgIMG_20210703_182942.jpg

Just turning out a bunch of bow parts lately. Cleaning the shop as I go.

Made some upgrades for this Jet Scooter. Good mix of CNC and manual work. The throttle with the safety shut off was a fun challenge. Scooter operates much better with a real throttle now.

Made some upgrades for this Jet Scooter. Good mix of CNC and manual work. The throttle with the safety shut off was a fun challenge. Scooter operates much better with a real throttle now.

That's a very cool project! My comedic side: Boys will be boys, and what could possibly go wrong?! And then there's Aukai's post from Today's Joke thread

POTD was fixing my wife’s favorite pitchfork. The wooden handle had rotted out of the tool end. I went with a piece of Creform stainless steel tubing for a replacement instead of wood. The tubing is actually lighter than the wood and won’t rot out again.

Sadness for my wife when the pitchfork broke off the handle. The replacement is thin-walled stainless steel
20210724_120047.jpg

I started by turning a piece of polyethylene rod down to the ID of the tubing. The tubing at the handle and the tool end would get a healthy length of plastic inside the tubing for reinforcing, plus something to screw into to secure the handle and pitchfork ferrule.

Turned a plug/filler rod to fit in the ends of the tubing for reinforcement
20210724_120059.jpg

The handle and pitchfork have tapered internal holes. Started these tapered bushings by drilling out and boring another piece of PE to fit over the OD. I measured the taper of the handle end with calipers at two depths and did the trig for the taper angle. The pitchfork end was a little easier as the wall thickness was consistent, the OD has the same taper as the ID. I set tapered angle blocks on the outside of the pitchfork end and measured across the tool/angle block at two points to get close to the angle.

Drilled
20210724_124138.jpg

Bored to diameter
20210724_124727.jpg

Checked fit with the tubing which was left in place for reinforcement while tapering the outside
20210724_124921.jpg

Thankfully, my Grizzly G0709 lathe has a taper attachment. The compound would have worked too but I didn’t need the practice turning it 35 times each direction to cut a 3 ½” length of taper. I set a piece of the stainless tubing in the bored hole for support and cut the outside taper.

Taper attachment set up to cut the tapered OD
20210724_130243.jpg

Checking fit with the handle end
20210724_130940.jpg

Checking fit of the pitchfork ferrule end
20210724_134243.jpg

I didn’t show it, but the pitchfork end of the tool has a wooden insert with a rectangular hole cut inside to hold the pitchfork. I filled the cavity with polyurethane glue to help reinforce the wood and lock the pitchfork tool into the ferrule. Slipped the reinforcing plastic in the ends, bushings over top, handles/ferrule in place and drilled/tapped a couple of 10-24 holes to lock it together.

All good!
20210724_143629.jpg

Wife is happy which makes me happy! Thanks for looking.

Bruce

Back