285 days to retirement

Haven't really decided as yet. Somewhere between two years and two weeks. And somedays I strongly feel it should be two minutes. Some of it depends on what the owner does (he's ten years older), and if he will allow me to go part time (he won't; it's a six day a week gig). Last year, with this covid crap starting up and me not having time off in ten years, I took the month of April off. No guilt. The best month I've had in many decades.

Could probably do it tomorrow if not for health insurance.

But, I kinda did a reverse retirement where I worked for myself the last 16 years before going back to employee mode last year.

Having your time be your own is definitely a blessing.

I'm 7,751 days into retirement. Things didn't even start to "slow down" until at least 2 years into it. The first 2 years were spent trying to complete the "Honey Do" list. Once I figured out that would never happen I slowed the pace a bit. There was no guilt involved at any time. The wife and I had both decided we were going to retire at 55. She did retire so to speak, but spent another year taking care of her ailing father. When he passed things did slow down for a brief moment, but then we had more time to do some of the things we wanted to do.

When the company offered me a buyout at 57 I was all in. It was a bit of a strange deal though. I "retired" on a Friday, and the phone was ringing off the hook Monday asking if I would like to come back as a contractor. It took over 6 months to convince them I really wanted to stay retired.

During our retirement we've managed to stay more than busy. Between all the things that need getting done at home we've managed to put over 150,000 miles on 2 different motorhomes. In that time we've been to Alaska 3 times, covered a good share of Canada, and nearly all the lower 48. Last year was the exception. The motorhome didn't move between October of 2019 and September of 2020. Our next trip will be in a couple weeks.

Now that I've reached 72 things are starting to slow down. That doesn't mean there's less to do, it simply means it takes me more time to do the same things.

Theoretically, 7080 more days for me, including weekends. By the time I get there, I hope not to add another 1800 days for inflation but I think that is guarantee at this stage of the game.

The spending money part is going to have to change. We have a good monthly income planned but that doesn't mean we have to spend it.
Bringing in less money is kind of scary. The unknowns are always a worry.
My mom and I were talking about her situation. She is still living independently and wants to as long as possible. She is getting weaker all the time.
I know she trusts me to do the right thing. I have full access to her financial accounts in the event she can no longer take care of these things.

Financially speaking, moving her into a senior home where she'll have her own apartment and access to meals, hair, nails, laundry, etc. will be about double than where she is now.
She says, I don't want to spend your inheritance. I say, I don't want you to either mom. We'll keep you as independent as long as possible (smile)
I know we all go through it. It's a learning curve for us.

I hope not to add another 1800 days for inflation but I think that is guarantee at this stage of the game.
I'm not even thinking about that. I just have January 31st. 2022 as a target.

Congrats, Jeff. I'm similar to David. I have a minimum of 1,825 and 2,920 at the most.

Back