285 days to retirement

I've been the general manager of this Ford dealer for 100 years. (since the early 90's)
Wow Jeff. I think you deserve retirement. Gotta give you credit for that stamina. ;)

Be happy that you can make the call on when you retire. If the finances aren't quite right, you don't HAVE to retire. Most likely you have planned well and it will work out for you.
When I "retired" I was forced out of the cockpit due to a medical issue. Those first weeks I was home was some of the worst in my life. I was 49. I am 55 now and busier than ever, including a part time job completely outside of my previous career.

I’ve only got 56 days to go but not really sure if I’ll stop working ( I like spending money). I’ve spent the last 25 years as a consultant and working 3 days a week for the last few years.
I’m looking forward to getting my small shop sorted out properly and getting on with an ever increasing list of projects so I better stop procrastinating.
I like spending too. Hmmm...
I am thinking around July or August, I'll go to the boss and say, how would you like to save some money on payroll?
He would say, I'm listening. I'm thinking reduce my wages by 20% and I'll go to a 4 day work week :)

Congratulations, you will love it.
If you have no debt retirement is brilliant.
Fortunately, we have no debt. I think that's why my financial guy says, any day after you turn 65 we'll set you up with a comfortable retirement.
I would love to leave California but our kids and grandkids are here.
If we go out of town a bit and find a home on an acre or two, I know we would spend money and maybe have a small mortgage.
Living within your means doesn't always mean your not looking around to find a bigger-better shop, home-property.
It's been eating at us.

Congratulations Jeff. I pulled the plug at the end of 2015 at 63. It really does feel odd at first not having a job, since like most of us I had a job since 13yr old. My replacement at work did call around once a week for about 2 years to ask questions. But you get over that. Now we have no time for a job. And these last five years have gone by faster than you can imagine.

Could retire in ~630 days... but probably won't for at least 2300 days, or a year or two after that.

A question for you guys in the US. We often hear comment about how expensive health care insurance is in the US. What’s the range of annual cost for health insurance? Here in New Zealand we have a pretty good public health system but the waiting lists can be long for some elective procedures. My wife and I also have private health insurance that cost around US$5,400 a year for the two of us. It gives peace of mind that we can get treatment much quicker than going through the public system.

This thread is very timely, as I myself have somewhere between 300-700 days to my own retirement.

For years, what kept me for figuring out my financial situation was not wanting to see that "yes, you can retire, when you're 93." I eventually realized that my thoughts didn't affect the answer, looked into it, and was pleasantly surprised, sort of. The "sort of" part is the unknowns: how long we will live, and when our medical costs will skyrocket, likely at the same time that our mobility drops off. In any event, it looks like unless I do something silly, I'm genetically destined to live a long life, but end up delusional... a very mixed blessing.

Over the years I've been collecting tools to keep myself busy in the garage, plus there's a telescope, a garden, koi pond, and its associated filtration. Anyway, money-wise it's getting close to "good enough", mostly because there's no debt, but also because we aren't planning to be heavy spenders in retirement, with no world trips planned. That said, I do admit to being drawn to maybe taking an epic drive in a smallish motor home to Alaska (from California).

Right now I'm looking into CAD software to buy, with the thinking that it may be the last one I buy, meaning that I plan to learn it really well and stick with it. It also means that, probably having it for years after retirement, I don't want to buy into something subscription-based. I don't mind paying $$$ in a lump sum, but having it end up costing me $$$$$ over the years is no good. The idea is to use it to design a laser cutter (for wood), design various things to cut with it once finished, and to also create files for a 3D printer, which is also on the wish list.

Somewhat related, our company allowed us to work at home all of 2020 and into 2021, It gives a small glimpse into what retirement might be like, underscoring how important it is to stay busy. Last year I took off Thanksgiving through New Years, and yeah, have to always have a project underway. Somewhere along the same lines, we're facing remodeling the house, and that seems like a pretty good (and huge) project to kick off retirement with. The idea would be to either do it myself, or more likely, work with a contractor who allows me to be a "laborer" in exchange for a price reduction. I know how to do everything, but some of it's simply too time intensive or often, needing a second pair of hands.

Lastly, our garage is a standard two-car size, with my wife's car on one side, and my small play car on the other, AND my machine tools. I've built two cars from scratch (see sig), but lately, I seem to be changing, with less motivation to take it out for a drive. Couple that with not having space to build said laser cutter, and I'm facing the difficult decision of if and when to sell it, gaining back both space and $$$$$. Guess we'll see!

Last edited:
Now that this thread has been hanging around for a few days, I think you need to make a point of editing the title daily to reflect the correct countdown :p

Back