2x72 grinder?

Yes Danny, I’m using the MC60 but if I come across a MC2000 I will likely swap them out. The 60 does just fine though.

Well crap, yet another thing to study , I'm going to need a controller mine is one of the crazy ones I think, any way I've been trying to decide why the wood lathe boys use the KBMD, why would you use the MC2000. My motor is 2.25 HP 90V 10A
I found qcaudill"s great wright up on building the control box but time I procure all the bits and bobs I'm darn close to the price of that Magic MC60 black box on flebay. anther 1st world problem!! LOL

Thanks

Z2V
Can you please tell me about the gear box under the drive motor?
tks ed

This sander is a little funky, but it works. I just finished building it, and it is also my first. I was going to sell my radial arm saw to make room to build a 2 x 72" sander, then I started thinking...

FE2vKZo.jpg

Z2V
Can you please tell me about the gear box under the drive motor?
tks ed

It’s just a straight 3/4” shaft with the belt drive wheel on the other end.

This sander is a little funky, but it works. I just finished building it, and it is also my first. I was going to sell my radial arm saw to make room to build a 2 x 72" sander, then I started thinking...

That is repurposing at its finest! Sometimes we do not always see a way to use what we already have. :encourage:

Z2v,
I fear I may have offended you with my poor grammar. If so I truly hope you accept my apology.
I was curious what the advantages of the mc 2000 board VS the Mc 60

Also I was given a 1.5 hp 1750 rpm 3 phase motor.it If you were in my shoes would you purchase a vfd or go with the treadmill motor.

Thanks
Danny

Love it. Plenty of those old saws around for free or cheap. Most can be wired for 220, should be plenty of power, and you have a ready made stand. Maybe a piece of 1/8" plate for a flat surface on top, or even a piece of 3/4 ply, as we all need more surface area to stack more STUFF. :) Mike

Danny, absolutely NO offense taken at all.
The motor I have on the grinder is a 3 hp and the controller that was on the treadmill it came off of was the MC2000. After I made the current serpentine belt pulley to increase the speed I cranked it up to see just how fast it would go, over 8k fpm, and the board died after that run. I had a couple MC60 boards laying around so I’m using that now. The MC2000 seemed to run the motor better, more stable speed, than the MC60 but it does just fine to spin a grinder. If I were using it on a lathe or mill I would probably want something better.
If you have a treadmill motor and a board all you would need it a box, cord and a linear potentiometer.
As far as a VFD, I just purchased a 2hp Delta branded VFD off eBay for $65.00. It’s going on my mill as soon as I finish making a controller. If you use a VFD you will need 220v, the treadmill motor will only need 110v , another consideration.
I have an active search on Craigslist for free treadmills in my area. If one pops up I jump on it like a duck on a junebug.
Cheers

Thanks Z2v,
That gives me more to think about. I need to get a controller ether way. From my research my treadmill had one of the ones that are pretty complicated.
I looked at the 3 phase motor I have it's only 3/4 hp. I don't think I would be happy with that, but again I have never used one. It is a a inverter motor rated up to 6000 rpm.

What do you think

Do you not have a board for the TM motor? What size is the TM motor?
Heck, put a search on you local Craigslist for treadmill in the free section. You can probably find one with MC60 board. Pretty common. I’m picking up another one this afternoon. It’s a big Medtrac commercial machine with an ac motor and VFD drive it looks like.

Back