3/4hp variable speed dc motor with control, from an untapped source

that feature could be really handy for threading on a normal 9x20 (non-cnc) because it's lowest speed is so fast.
these are dc servo motors and can be reversed and have braking by installing a switch and braking circuit according to the manufacturer
i could see it being used as a table power feed or knee lift lots of uses and plenty of power
steve

I'm thinking about powering a HF bead roller with one of these. I'd like to see the motor in action with the pedal. Variable speed is what I'm looking for.

ok,
I'm going to play with it a while before installing on the cnc 9x20 just to see what it's uses can be.
if that is a 10k pot on the front i have a board mach3 will control for spindle i may use
will keep you posted
steve

So I'm wondering if the pot on the motor sets the max rpm and if the foot pedal goes from zero to max. I'm assuming it does, because sewing machines are foot operated and they always stop when the foot pedal is released. This thing looks like just the ticket for my next project, the bead roller.

That motor would also be great to power a HF tubing roller.

xalky that is how the pedal works, the knob sets max. the pedal controls 0 to max you set
I havent found any info on the model i ordered so i'll have to wait for delivery to see how the pedal lever works. on the electronic models with keypad they use a laser and a paper gradiant to change the light passing through. to change speeds the less light that passes through the faster it goes. even with that it is a seperate piece most likely it has to be changing a voltage being sent to the controller.
steve

also some reverse by moving the lever the other way. that could be used on a drill press with a slipper clutch for tapping threads pretty easy
I'm thinking of all kinds of uses now lol
steve

the sewing machine motor showed up today and i'm impressed so far...
it says servo motor but i dont see a sensor for controlling motor speed on the shaft?
so for now i think it is just a variable speed dc motor
the pedal switch for speed is controlled by a magnet on the lever, the closer the magnet the faster it runs. so it can be moved and redone as a switch or variable resistor. or a threaded rod to pull the lever to what ever speed.
the dial setting for max speed is a switch with resisters solidered across each contact giving presets the lower the speed the higher the resistance. it can be replaced with a pot (variable resistor)
the motor has just 2 wires coming out of it so the controls can all be moved but should have a fan installed if moved.
i believe i can control this motor from mach3 by replacing the magnetic sensor with a motor controller card no problem
direction is a simple switch reversing motor polarity.
removing the foot pedal lever also removes the mechanical brake but an electrical brake is easy with a resistor and relays.
i have not bolted it to anything yet but i think i'll do a drill press first
the motors housing is threaded, so other mounting is possible pretty easy.
until i take it apart further i dont know the variable resistor or voltage requirements to control the motor but i will post them.
I want to test the motor for power availability/limits before disassembly
steve

[video=youtube;92OrGyPIt70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92OrGyPIt70&feature=youtu.be[/video]

this is the inside of the controller. top center resistors around max speed selector switch. right side ,magnetic sensor speed 0-max setting

DSCF0611.JPG DSCF0612.JPG DSCF0613.JPG DSCF0614.JPG DSCF0615.JPG DSCF0616.JPG DSCF0617.JPG DSCF0618.JPG DSCF0619.JPG

I love it and can't wait to see it on a machine. Please post when you do. Thanks......

I want to build one of these bead rollers pictured here in this video. [video=youtube;8aAOQAGsV38]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aAOQAGsV38&playnext=1&list=PL23F2F722665C DC07&feature=results_main[/video]

Using that motor. I just have to figure out how i would move the pedal to the floor. It would have to be a wired pedal that can be moved around on the floor. Ideally all the controls would be within arms reach at the top of the machine and a foot pedal on the floor. I think he's using a motor from a treadmill on his in the video.

Back