5 cylinder Radial Engine

WOW really extraordinary work and love the fact so much was done on RF-30 style mill.
Just starting out in the hobby machinist world and have enlarged a bushing hole so far with my RF-30 knock off:big grin:
Thanks for taking the time to document the project so thoroughly!

Bruce, Greg I tried the spring type benders but since the tubing was 11/32 in diameter none of the springs fit very well and it kinked right over.
Thank you both for the kind words.

Matt I didn't try that method of filling the tube with melted material but I may try it in the future.

DeadGuy you are very welcome and good to have you along.

Ray

This motor is so cool you should build it into something useful. I would not fly it on an airplane. Could it run a chainsaw? Generator? There must be a good idea out there!

The Cerro bend is reusable. It's like magic; melts at boiling water temperatures. Pour it in, bend like barstock, melt it out with boiling water and pour it back into an ingot for next time!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Thanks savarin and Robert your comments are very kind

Weldingrod I will be trying that method at a later date but for now I think I have figured out how I am going to make the intake tubes.

I have decided on a possible way to make the intake runners but I had to order materials for the job so I started on the ignition.
The ignition module and battery holders are mounted along with some of the plug wire straps.
IMG_1877.JPG

That's all for today

Thanks for looking
Ray

The braid suppresses electrical noise and supplies the ground connection to the spark plugs. The only down side is you can't change the wire length with out cutting the cable and losing the nice ends.

I finished strapping the spark plug wires to the frame and made a shelf. The shelf has an off/on switch and an indicator that flashes when a cylinder fires. The shelf will also hold the gas tank and the throttle control as well as cover up some of the wiring.
IMG_1879.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

I set the ignition timing to just before top dead center for starters.

Thanks for looking

Ray

I made the plate that the carburetor mounts to and the intake manifold I guess you call it.
IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1885.JPG

The manifold will have 5 threaded holes in it for the intake runners.
I am using a Traxxas 4033 carb with a 6mm bore. I have used this carb on several of my other models.

Thanks for looking
Ray

Back