5 cylinder Radial Engine

Thanks Chris and all that have left likes.

Ray

Made up the push rods and timed the valves. I was off one tooth on the timing gear.
IMG_1864.JPG

I exercised the motor some more with the electric motor and it is running smoother now that the cam ring has some work to do. There was a very little catch in the timing gears every so often before but now it is gone. I do have compression and the intakes are sucking air so all is good for now.
I will try to bend some exhaust pipes next.

Thanks for looking

Ray

David I surely will but it will be a little while yet.
Ray

As I said before I was going to try to bend some exhaust pipes. After two days of failures I built a special bender just for this tubing size. Having the right size dies helped a lot and annealing the pipe helped too but packing the tubing with damp fine sand made the biggest improvement. I mean really pack the sand in using a steel rod and a hammer.
The quality of my brass tubing was very poor and when annealing the tube it showed defects in the material so I decided to paint the pipes to cover up the defects and the engine needed a little more color anyway.

I made up 5 of these that screw into the cylinder heads.
IMG_1867.JPG

The tubes go over the outside with a close fit. I made some brass collars 1/4 in thick with a set screw in them and they fit over the pipes next to the head. Tightening the set screw locks the pipe in place but still allows the repositioning of the tube if needed. (sorry I forgot the pictures)

A few Pictures with the prop installed.
IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

Number 3 cylinder pipe has an additional bend to direct the exhaust to the side.

IMG_1873.JPG

I bought 6 feet of brass tubing and ended up with 5 pipes 6" long the rest was scraped.
I have learned one think from this I am not a tubing bender person so I will have to find a different way to make the intake runners.

Thanks for looking
Ray

You did exactly what Google had for bending brass tubing. I did find this YouTube video using an external spring. I recall using that method 45 years ago when I fly RC planes; used it to bend fuel lines.

And because I haven't mentioned it yet, you are a true craftsman! I'm sure you'll come up with a great way of bending the tubing.

Bruce

woods metal or cerrobond (?) I think are low melting temp metals that are ideal for supporting bends in thin tubing

I have a flaring kits that came with those springs for bending brake lines, they were a complete failure on steel line, maybe wok on thin walled brass.
Beautiful work as always Ray.

Greg

Back