70° today and no shop time!

At the other end of the scale, last week here in Adelaide South Australia we set a new all time record with 46.6c =115.88f It wasn't too bad as the humidity was low. Jumping in the pool at the end of the day was abit of a shock, the pool was 40c like a hot bath, but it sure did ease those tired muscles.

Most folks don't realize that the number 1 killer for outdoor activities in Hawaii is hypothermia. When I used to hunt on the slopes of Mauna Kea, night time temps often got into the 30's ... in the summer. You get stuck on the side of a mountain at night and get rained on and it can get deadly cold out here.
And most folks don't realize that one of the largest cattle ranches in the world is also in Hawaii - on the Big Island. Is the Parker Ranch still operating, Mikey? Several years ago, I had a meeting on the Big Island and, being a part time horse trainer, I contacted the ranch. Their wrangler gave my wife and me a three or four hour tour of the operation. Fascinating.

Regards,
Terry

-27 below here.
Colder than a well diggers toolbox.

Spending a couple weeks in NYC for work. Good ol' Polar McVortex has dropped the temps to the 20s (F), nothing too bad but you wouldn't know it from the locals complaining.

I think next time I have to come here, I'll bring a file and a block of steel just to keep my hands busy. 22° today and no shop time!

Temp still dropping at midnight.....presently -42F....................o_O

I noticed the cobwebs too but will have to wait to clean it up I guess....:grin:
It isn't a shop unless it has cobwebs!
That is just bone chillin'....

To look on the bright side although we havnt seen the sun for well over a week its not cold.
A bit wet though, it hasnt stopped raining for 24 hours, very unusual.
Downstairs has water leaking through the walls and the upstairs kitchen has a leak in the roof.
The garden wont need watering for a while and all my water tanks are full.
Not too bad all things considered

And most folks don't realize that one of the largest cattle ranches in the world is also in Hawaii - on the Big Island. Is the Parker Ranch still operating, Mikey? Several years ago, I had a meeting on the Big Island and, being a part time horse trainer, I contacted the ranch. Their wrangler gave my wife and me a three or four hour tour of the operation. Fascinating.

Regards,
Terry

Last I heard, Parker Ranch is still in operation but I think its run by a trust, not the Parker family anymore. Huge, beautiful ranche with about 250,000 acres! Rolling hills that look like Northern Italy, Eucalyptus trees, huge feral pigs and tons of pheasants and other game birds. You were lucky to have a tour, Terry.

Yeah. They're predicting -35 Wednesday night and -27 tonight. My poor heat pump will be working double over time.
We got down to only 18° or so last night. Woke up to a non-functioning heat pump .... 59° in da house.
Air handler and compressor are just 5 years old...

Sunrise at 45 below zero...........286391
That's my neighbor's fish house on the lower left. There are other fish houses farther away
but not visible through the inversion haze.

Only 18°F and your heat pump stopped working?
I set mine to the minimum, 50° and put a little electric heater in the garage. Currently @ 52° with an outside temp of -33°.

Back