70 C10 resto-mod (was Chevy culture shock)

You know you quit at the right time when you spent 10m trying to get the clamp on the brake tee in back, gave up, went inside to look for pics on the interwebs, and only after 30m of staring at the diagram did you realize you were trying to clamp it on the wrong side of the bracket.
Guess that's why the clamp had no tension and kept falling out. :facepalm:

Last edited:
going to punt on securing the lines to the crossmember.
Once they're bled I'll just drive that ***** up on ramps and do it the easy way....or maybe sneak onto my neighbor's lift when nobody's looking ;-)

Fixed the rear brake line so it's not slammed against the booster(se previous pix). Getting the 90 right at the end "moved over" was tough, but the rest just bent by hand nice and smooth.
No fancy loops like the cool kids have, but for having to modify "pre-bent" lines they'll do nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_5291.jpeg
    IMG_5291.jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5289.jpeg
    IMG_5289.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 3
bleeding the MC on the truck, looks like I'm just frothing up thousands of tiny bubbles then pushing them back and forth.
Holding the pedal down allows those to aggregate into larger bubbles at the top of the tube that I can drive out, so I'm using a bar clamp to hold the pedal down then pumping a few times. Lather rinse repeat.
No sign of fluid leaking out, so air ain't coming in.

Did you remember to clip the bleed pin open on the proportioning valve? I had to do that with my C10.
I'm bleeding the mc separately, so haven't gotten to the combo valve yet. It's an excellent point though, thanks.
I do have the gizmo in place that replaces the failure light switch and holds the shuttle(pressure diff) valve immobile, but I didn't get a clip for the front pin, will have to jigger one from scrap if that's necessary.

What I think I'm doing wrong is that the bleed hoses are too long, so the travel of the piston simply isn't enough to dump those bubbles back in the reservoir and I just move them back and forth in the tube.
Chances are, there was a line in the instructions about that, but I obliterated those getting the kit open.

First I shortened the tubing then I made my own fittings with leftover flare fitting so I know it doesn't suck air.
Still getting a ton of tiny bubbles after about 5 pumps, enough that it makes the fluid in the tubing look cloudy.
Fluid level doesn't change, no fluid on the bottom of the MC, so maybe I'm just aerating the fluid and sucking that into the tubes. IDK
Gonna try vacuum bleeding through the bleed valves on the MC :shrug:

Back