80% Lowers

I did my first several 80% lowers with nothing more than a homemade plate to hold it square and a dial indicator. The jig just makes it faster. The thing about buying a jig is you will be able to use it on many, many more lowers.
The dimensions are available everywhere on line. Just do a quick search.
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search...1=20171110&p=ar15+lower+dimensions&type=adnor
Wow/thanks! I'm not totally lazy, i just wouldn't have expected that to exist out there...i dont know why. The whole machining thing is like weeks new to me. I'm off to inspect it!

I hope this is ok since its published as Free use info.
This link contains complete directions to complete a 0% lower (basically a block of aluminium) which also covers the 80% lower. I personally haven't used it but this link was sent to me by a good friend who did use these directions and ended up with a really nice rifle.

http://www.arlower.ray-vin.com/disclaimer.htm

Ray's videos and pdf of the instructions are very comprehensive. He explains it in a way the even I understood. (And that's no easy task.)

I would look for, and copy any drawings you can find. If this legislation concerning 3d printed guns, goes through, it sounds like it will apply to downloading drawings, videos, and anything else that can help someone build a gun.

It is fun to see a thread come alive after a while. I have done both an AR and a 10/22. I think all the comments above are spot on. I will heartily second reading and listening to Ray Vin's work, as I said earlier, he has it planned out very well whether you are doing an 80 percent or from forging. My experience was I got a much tighter gun that is all my own in both cases. I think most of us like the feeling that comes from making it with our own hands.

Well PT, I am unsure if you are pro Jig or not, but I'm picking up the vibe that you don't recommend freestyling it? Its funny you mention the skeletonized AR15. I absolutely love F1 firearms skeletonized AR. I'd really love to pull that off but i like to think a lot of nerdly engineers laid that design out, not just random.
Is it not really worth doing the 80% free hand in your opinion?

If you have a surface plate and a height gauge, lay it out and start making chips!

When I built my Juggernaut Ar-10, I bought the jig. For someone who had never attempted a 80%, I thought it would help. And now I have a jig for doing more if I want.

So shoot me. ;) :p

Be careful where you order your jig I’ve had a couple buddies get hosed jigs (not coming with the correct parts and the bolt/pin holes not lining up blah blah) I fixed their jigs at the low low cost of a lower. I did kinda copied their jig a bit but just for side plates so I could set the lower on Parallels in my mill vice. I had my jig and lower built before they left my shop took more time fly cutting and drillinh the side plates than it did milling out the lower. Im kinda over the 80% crazy if you’re patient Palmeadow armory will occasionally have 100% lowers on sale for 30 bucks. Diamondback uppers Will occasionally have complete uppers (bolts and carriers) for 199.00. You can have a complete ar for 300 bucks that’s hard to beat. I’ve had a lot of luck with the DB uppers sub MOA kinda luck with factory ammo. This is what my jig ended up lookinG like.
EEA04BE6-A5E6-4C09-9B71-C77585354DB2.jpeg

I think one of the attractions of an 80% build is making a "ghost gun" that there is no paper trail linking it to you.

Back