80% Lowers

My 80 arrived yesterday. With it came a five color coded parts packages with no instructions. Any advice on how to assemble?

The 80 and jigs are beautifully machined. Can't wait to fire up the mill.

They go together easily. Get your lower finished first, protect the bare aluminum and then watch a couple of you tubes.

They go together easily. Get your lower finished first, protect the bare aluminum and then watch a couple of you tubes.
Started on it today. Went well I'm to about 97.5% complete. Seemed almost too easy. I'm sure problems await, they always do.

Now on to an "upper".

I'm thinking "off the shelf " for the rest of this first build. Then maybe on to other things....

Here are a few good sources for all things AR; cheaperthandirt.com, mapartsinc.com, cdnnsports.com. All you need to finish your 80.

Another project for a beginner is a muzzle break. Since the base design is rather simple, and adding personal touches to it can't really take away from the design. That would be something to try as well. You are starting out with solid bar stock. Drill and ream a center hole, counter bore and thread for the barrel thread and go from there. There are hundreds of designs available to view and take queue's from as well.

Another project for a beginner is a muzzle break. Since the base design is rather simple, and adding personal touches to it can't really take away from the design. That would be something to try as well. You are starting out with solid bar stock. Drill and ream a center hole, counter bore and thread for the barrel thread and go from there. There are hundreds of designs available to view and take queue's from as well.

Does that require internal threading or a tap? I have not yet attempted internal threading. A brake might be just the thing to practice on.

Matt,

One of the best sources for inexpensive AR parts to complete your build is Palmetto State Armory. Their PSA branded stuff is usually of good quality, at great prices. They also have "PTAC" branded stuff which is even cheaper. I've heard of many that have done perfectly adequate builds with PTAC, but most times I've heard of problems with Palmetto, it was PTAC branded stuff and not PSA branded stuff.

Back