80% Lowers

Ebay for the full float handguard. PSA has their premium bolt carrier group on sale today.

Yes, it would require internal threading and a bore / drill and ream to size for the bullet to pass through. As long as those two things are done correctly, the rest is up to your imagination and machining abilities.

I'm not sure if the question has been asked, but how difficult would it be to do an 80% lower without the jig? I mean could you mic the thicknesses measure the pocket size or???? Once you purchase the 80% and jig, you are WAY OVER what it would cost to buy a complete one. The satisfaction of doing your own would be great and having a gun, but is it worth 3x's the cost? Just thought I'd ask.

The jig just makes it easy. can even do it with just a drill press. anyone with a mill can find a way to fixture it for free.

Agreed, if you have a mill, especially with a DRO, you don't need a jig.

Man! I don't know! I could see my drop in trigger drop right on out. I wished buying a mill came with some free skills with it! Perhaps i could disassemble one of my lowers and "copy" ? Being the AR15 platform is standard, that would work....no?

Curious. As I remembered it, there was a lot more negative response to my comment about the jig being a crutch.

I started another one (yes dear, another AR-15) using the jig.

Because in spite of my fancy private college education, quite frequently I am an idiot, a world class, well educated idiot, but idiot nonethe less.

I now have an AR-15 that I'm certain I will spend every day of shooting it explaining that the extra holes are not for an RDIS, but are due to my having the blank in the jig kattywampus-as my mother would have said it!

Yeah, either that or I could say it was semi-skeletonized-LOL

Had I laid it out using traditional layout practices, I (might have, remember I'm often an idiot) likely would have noticed that the holes were mis-positioned before I started making chips.

Before the tragic saltwater boating accident, I had ARs I'd made in .223/5.56, 300 BLK, 458 SOCOM, and am currently working on one that might be a 6.5 Creedmore, and a poly that will probably be 9mm. Damn that boat accident!

While I'm admitting to my stupid mistakes, I also have an AR that will never accept stock trigger groups as somehow, one side of the bottom of the receiver accidentally got milled away.

Well PT, I am unsure if you are pro Jig or not, but I'm picking up the vibe that you don't recommend freestyling it? Its funny you mention the skeletonized AR15. I absolutely love F1 firearms skeletonized AR. I'd really love to pull that off but i like to think a lot of nerdly engineers laid that design out, not just random.
Is it not really worth doing the 80% free hand in your opinion?

Back