9x20 stuffup

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm unsure if it was my fault or the machine.
I had two aluminium flanges bolted together on the faceplate with spacers so I could turn the outside dia and bore the inside dia parallel with each other and both end up exactly the same.
All was going well on slow auto feed - bore, disengage the feed lever, wind back to start, wind out the cross slide for next cut, engage feed lever and so on.
Only taking light cuts as I didnt want to overshoot the bore dia.
on the sixth cut I disengaged the feed and started winding back to the start when everything jammed solid, :panic:thank you clutch. I switched off as fast as possible.
I had to dismantle the apron and lead screw whereupon I found the following mess."jawdrop:
swarf.jpg
It looked like the sliding key had come out of the leadscrew and jammed in a heap of swarf.
I've never seen such a mess.
Is winding the carriage back with the power feed disengaged but the lead screw still turning a no no?:whiteflag:
The shaft that the worm turns is bent:bawling: but that appears to be the limit of the damage, the leadscrew is still straight.
gear for lead screw.jpg
I just hope I can get a spare as I dont believe I could make one.:help:
On the bright side (well I'm desperately trying to see one) I found the reason why the half nuts disengaged occasionally when threading.
Once this is repaired then some serious anti swarf shielding is being made.

swarf.jpg gear for lead screw.jpg

Not your fault. The factory did not do their homework building these machines. I rebuilt the apron on mine twice before I redesigned it.

"Billy G"

I would say you have a swarf problem, you were operating the lathe in a normal manner.

Jim, you really have to know this lathe. That is not a one time swarf accumulation. Both sides of the apron are open. It is a real PITA till you enclose the Apron Sides. I have that lathe, a Jet Clone. Mine is a Jet and I have made over 40 modification to get it to run the way I wish it to. I have a Sheldon now and when it is restored the Jet will become a back up lathe.

"Billy G"

Savarin -

From the red paint, it looks like you have a Harbor Freight lathe. Everything I've heard about them regarding spare parts has been horrible. Luckily, the Grizzly G4000 is the same, and they're great to work with and hve a good stock of spare parts.

Best wishes!

Bill -

Did you get leadscrew shields for yours? I'd love to add them to mine, but haven't found a source. Thanks!

No I don't the shields for the same reason as you, no source. I am going to make my own in the near future.

"Billy G"

same shaft bent on mine, I straightened it in an arbor press, been working fine since. it bent very very easily like very very cheap grade 2 bolt stuff.

Have you ever crashed it? I had the big gear on that shaft in your pic strip out last week. After inspection I noted that shaft is bent and the half the gear thats missing teeth is the section that bends furthest away from the mating gear. I have some grand ideas in my head. Mistakes can be blessings if you look from the right angle. Truth be told, all them gears should be double sheared verse oem single shear.

Back