9x20 stuffup

Wow what a mess, Looks like i better improve my old 9x20 before i get burned time for some shields and guards

Wow what a mess, Looks like i better improve my old 9x20 before i get burned time for some shields and guards

Yeah, I'm experimenting with folding an accordion pleat to shield the lot.
A major problem will be removing it everytime I want to use the steady.
I wont replace the pressed tin shield under the apron so at least there wont be a build up in there.

Did that also Bro. I had to shim the bracket out .006 also. You are finding out just what Quality Control isn't.

"Billy G"

Hi Bill, I think mine is out the other way as the major wear was on the front of the holes. Maybe a couple of thou off the base to correct.
Hopefully I will find out monday.

I'm not happy.
The part has been sitting in the shippers office since thursday afternoon as promised.
They reckon they tried to deliver it thursday. Why didnt they leave a note?
So, got home, opened the package and low and behold they are two different sizes.
The old shaft is on the left
shafts.jpg
A quick search in the rubbish box and an exact fit spacer was found, just had to cut to length.
shaft spacer.jpg
Just had to file the small burrs from the end of the shaft
burrs.jpg
It all fits and there is plenty of room behind the apron for the extended part.
shaft done.jpg

All re-assembled and now I know what Bill was saying.
The leadscrew aligns at the headstock end but is way out at the tail stock end.
A bit of packing and the carriage now travels from end to end very smoothly.

burrs.jpg shaft done.jpg shaft spacer.jpg shafts.jpg

I'm still waiting on my parts from grizz. I hope they send me a shaft like yours. I got ideas

I'm still waiting on my parts from grizz. I hope they send me a shaft like yours. I got ideas

come on then, dont leave us in suspenders.
I was also:think1:what I could do with the little bit of keyed shaft but unfortunately I have:noidea:

I'm trying to find a place to have something spinning that is clear enough to reach the cross slide. It seems you can mill out the bottom under the lead screw for acess or on the front side even. Just aint much room under there

It seems, actually is. a lot of work and time consuming to get it right. I will guarantee you will have a lathe when you finish that will rival anything in its class and then some. Keep up the good work guys, it will pay off in the end. Chuck, under no circumstances weaken the cross slide or the apron by undercutting. It will take away from what rigidity it has. You can't afford to lose any at all.

"Billy G"

I'm not to the point cutting anything. Jut tossing around ideas in my head. So far the most straight forward would be to get this shaft to extend out the front. Out the back your your against a rock and hard spot unless you can get on the other side of the ways or in front or back of the apron.

I swear I need to carry this apron inside to the bathroom. Good quality thinking time

The shaft extends out the front of the apron to get a cir-clip on to hold it in. The clip is the problem, under load it will come off. I did away with this by drilling and tapping the front where the cir-clip is. I turned .010 off the front and added a washer under the screw. I have had no trouble since.

"Billy G"

Back