A Floating Chucking Reamer-Why not!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the plan for this is incorrect. I watched another video from the guy in NZ who used those plans. I was able to see clearly that the pins only allowed the tap to swing at the tip, they were too tight a placement so the reamer could not float off center and have the whole reamer stay centered, only the tip.

So in my view the plan should allow for room to travel on those pins, not just re-align the tip. The reamer or even a tap since it can be used for tapping, should float into alignment all the way, not just a tip swing on a radius.

I'm pretty sure that the OLD vintage ones I saw did not align only at the tip.
I think the revised plans show a bit more movement there?
Anyone know the answer to this question?

Jeff. I have some extra 4140 2. 1/2 bar stock you are welcome to.
I'm not sure why he suggests 4130. As I understand it, the 30 is .28 to .33% carbon vs. .38 to .43%
The extra carbon in 4140 adds a bit more hardenability. ??
All these fancy alloys start out with 98% iron. The remaining 2% make up all the recipes for the dozens of exotic blends.
As I understand it anyway. I could be wrong of course.

I think the revised plans show a bit more movement there?
Anyone know the answer to this question?
ok, I was just seeing what it looked like on the video.
But yea, I would like to hear from more experienced users too.
I've never used one, only seen it in videos so not very knowledgeable.

Bingo. I didn't know this.

Taking some measurements this morning I also found my finish pass was too much. I didn't give myself a chance. I'm off by 003 at the "diameter end" the thickest part. I should be .938 but I'm at .935"

Thank you. I'll try, try again
BTW the taper will seat fine if the angle is right, and the diameter is a bit larger. Smaller is only good if it seats.

A big challenge for me. I must not get frustrated and quit.
never get that frustrated, just look at it as a learning process.
Easy enough to reuse the part down the road.. just mark it so you know what the material is.
I reuse lots of mistakes when I find a need that the size and material fits.

I am not looking for perfection on many projects, just utility. But if you are looking for perfection, then go for it..
Redo it. You only get better each time if you pay attention to how you made the mistake and avoid any new errors.

Rarely in life do you get something right the first time when you are learning. Most machinists go through a long apprenticeship, and journey. As hobbyists, why should we expect instant gratification. We only have each other here, and youtube.. not like the real machinists who work side by side to guide.

Ok off my soap box.. (really meant for anyone that feels the way you do).

A big challenge for me. I must not get frustrated and quit.
I go through the same thing all the time. I use the “take a break” method where if I’m stuck I stop and work on something else for a while. Usually when I come back to it I’ve gotten some insight into what I did wrong. I’m going through this with my frog clamp project. I have to be doubly careful when I come back though and not rely on my memory for specs. Case in point I had 3/16“ stuck in my head when it should have been 5/32”…….doh! Just another learning opportunity.

Back