A Floating Chucking Reamer-Why not!

Bingo. I didn't know this.

Taking some measurements this morning I also found my finish pass was too much. I didn't give myself a chance. I'm off by 003 at the "diameter end" the thickest part. I should be .938 but I'm at .935"

Thank you. I'll try, try again
Just take a step to the left...

It is a taper, you cut too small, just remove some material from the big end, then continue the taper until it is big enough, cut off the extra from too small end

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Fits like a glove!
My first successful Morse taper. I also need to cut a Jacob’s taper. Nothing to it!!

Nice job. It’s on the cards for me to cut my first morse taper soon as well. I’m pretty sure it won’t go right for me first time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job Jeff! Just never know where a project will take you and the challenges it will present.

I had to do a specific grind to a drill bit to make a part and had to change the wheels on my Checkel. I’d been putting off tackling the wheel adapters so I could change wheels easier. I can’t seem to find the adapters for the Checkel only the Shars version which has a steeper taper. After figuring out how to make the adapter puller. I’d never tried to cut a taper, much less an inside mystery taper. I used a method a tool and die guy mentioned where I used a DTI on my compound to find the angle with my compound. Then recut the ID taper on the Shars adapters. Took forever and mucho fiddley but I got it. That’s one of those projects that I had to take a couple of breaks on. All just to be able to grind a tool for a different project.

Nice job Jeff! Just never know where a project will take you and the challenges it will present.

I had to do a specific grind to a drill bit to make a part and had to change the wheels on my Checkel. I’d been putting off tackling the wheel adapters so I could change wheels easier. I can’t seem to find the adapters for the Checkel only the Shars version which has a steeper taper. After figuring out how to make the adapter puller. I’d never tried to cut a taper, much less an inside mystery taper. I used a method a tool and die guy mentioned where I used a DTI on my compound to find the angle with my compound. Then recut the ID taper on the Shars adapters. Took forever and mucho fiddley but I got it. That’s one of those projects that I had to take a couple of breaks on. All just to be able to grind a tool for a different project.
Cutting tapers using precision known angles mounted to the compound via magnets works well also, as you know.
It's very rewarding to say the least

All the floating reamer holders I've had pass through my hands have allowed the tool to move axially in any direction but kept the tool parallel to the ways. They all used two sets of ball bearings and pins. Kinda hard to wrap your head around, but very simple.

Made some progress until ---OOPS

You know how they always say to grab long strings of hot sharp metal with pliers motor off?
I had the motor off part :)

I'm using some mystery stainless steel. It machines beautifully -303?

Hope you'all had a great turkey day, I sure did.

Attachments

• tap1.jpg
    tap1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 42
  • tap2.jpg
    tap2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 43
  • tap4.jpg
    tap4.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 41
  • tap5.jpg
    tap5.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 43
  • tap6.jpg
    tap6.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 41
oh man, that's some serious machinist commitment. I've done stupid stuff like that before, it's incredible how easily a string of stainless will cut through your finger

oh man, that's some serious machinist commitment. I've done stupid stuff like that before, it's incredible how easily a string of stainless will cut through your finger
Man no kidding. It just takes a second, mindless stupidity.

Back