A Floating Chucking Reamer-Why not!

I built one today. I used stuff I had around the shop, so the materials aren't ideal. I figured if I like this thing, I can remake any particular part. I used aluminum for the outer collar (mistake) Aluminum is VERY sticky when in contact with steel.

I found some 2 inch round bars of bearing bronze on ebay for a pretty fair price. I'll rebuild the collar if I like this tool.

I did make the mid/rocker plate out of 4140, and man do I hate working with that stuff. I did 4 reamed holes instead of slots. This was mainly because I didn't think far enough ahead with my work holding. :)

View attachment 471464
Well done sir!!

Are you going to add the hardened HSS piece that rubs against the ball bearing?

I planned on using for rifle chambering. I'm going to give it a run as is and see how I like it. If I think I do, I'll cut some bronze for the outer collar and find a friend with a surface grinder for the mid-plate.

I planned on using for rifle chambering. I'm going to give it a run as is and see how I like it. If I think I do, I'll cut some bronze for the outer collar and find a friend with a surface grinder for the mid-plate.
If you were close by, I would grind it for you as I'm sure many of us would.
I hope you found this project to be as rewarding as I did.
This was a real growing experience for me.

I got an ER20 collet holder on amazon for 20 bucks - I'm shocked how well it's made, it's beautiful! - So I cut it in half. :)

I got it to be a "machinsts fit" to the "floaty bit" - I think it'll just get the loctite treatment.

23-12-28 16-06-25 0398.jpg23-12-28 16-06-34 0399.jpg

I managed to find a big hunk of bearing bronze on fleabay for 60 bucks. Seemed like a steal. If I'm happy with this widget I'll redo the collar.

currently going through leveling my lathe, but when that's done I'll see how this works!

23-12-29 12-07-50 0405.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I still need to figure out the HSS insert on the mid plate. Just hand tightening it a few times has left a dimple in the middle of it from the bearing. 4140 is a bear to machine... I expected a little more out of it

Back