A Floating Chucking Reamer-Why not!

Beeyootiful Jeff! Only comment - is the drill chuck threaded on to a hard shoulder? Only reason I ask is that I've made arbors with just the thread and no shoulder and been disappointed with the runout
Good eye.
I have a locking nut I need to thin down and make parallel on the surface grinder.
This should accomplish the locking and concentric requirements. I hope :)

Edit: kind of like this>>>>>>>

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1550.jpeg
    IMG_1550.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
good idea. The face of the nut needs to be 90deg to the thrust direction (?!) of the threads, not sure how you'd do that though. Maybe grind/ face it locked onto a matching thread? Either way, all that might be moot, the proof is in the pudding after all!

good idea. The face of the nut needs to be 90deg to the thrust direction (?!) of the threads, not sure how you'd do that though. Maybe grind/ face it locked onto a matching thread? Either way, all that might be moot, the proof is in the pudding after all!
""
Hmm,
We'll see. Still waiting for the ball bearing.
Oh, I could drill some holes with the chuck locked up.
Stay tuned.....

Does anyone else hold parallel shank reamers right at the end with the tailstock most of the way out to allow them to float?

Does anyone else hold parallel shank reamers right at the end with the tailstock most of the way out to allow them to float?
I would think that if your tailstock quill has "float" it would subject the reamer to a good amount of bias and flare the bore to some degree, pun intended.

I've been waiting for a ball bearing to come via USPS. It finally showed up today.
I installed the ball, assembled the new floating chuck.
I drilled a .302" hole then reamed with a .3125' chucking reamer. (5/16")
I then pulled out a .312 gauge pin. Fits perfect with a nice vacuum pop!!
The .313" pin would not go in. I'd say it's a success.

Not quite the same, but very similar, my floating chamber reamer holder.......does this count?

here it is on the cover of Machinist Workshop magazine

20230717_192047.jpg20230717_192030.jpg20230717_161510.jpgResized_Resized_20230425_160606.jpeg.jpgResized_Resized_20220304_091906(8).jpgResized_Resized_20220304_093029(1).jpg

Beeyootiful Jeff! Only comment - is the drill chuck threaded on to a hard shoulder? Only reason I ask is that I've made arbors with just the thread and no shoulder and been disappointed with the runout
The hard shoulder is the surface ground nut.
It seems to work so I'm not going to ask why??

Back