A Floating Chucking Reamer-Why not!

I built one today. I used stuff I had around the shop, so the materials aren't ideal. I figured if I like this thing, I can remake any particular part. I used aluminum for the outer collar (mistake) Aluminum is VERY sticky when in contact with steel.

I found some 2 inch round bars of bearing bronze on ebay for a pretty fair price. I'll rebuild the collar if I like this tool.

I did make the mid/rocker plate out of 4140, and man do I hate working with that stuff. I did 4 reamed holes instead of slots. This was mainly because I didn't think far enough ahead with my work holding. :)

23-12-21 17-47-26 0357.jpg

I built one today. I used stuff I had around the shop, so the materials aren't ideal. I figured if I like this thing, I can remake any particular part. I used aluminum for the outer collar (mistake) Aluminum is VERY sticky when in contact with steel.

I found some 2 inch round bars of bearing bronze on ebay for a pretty fair price. I'll rebuild the collar if I like this tool.

I did make the mid/rocker plate out of 4140, and man do I hate working with that stuff. I did 4 reamed holes instead of slots. This was mainly because I didn't think far enough ahead with my work holding. :)

View attachment 471464

Nice work . . . except

The four holes in the midplate won't allow float in the same way that slots would.
When the torque is applied through the tool, the pins will contact their respective holes in a certain orientation and not be able to slide as they would along the planar wall of a slot. You may be able to feel the condition by holding both ends, one in each hand, applying and maintaining torque while trying to slide the two in opposite radial directions. The radial force required to overcome the "self-centering" effect of the torque will be quite high relative to the torque. By "self-centering" I don't mean that the chuck will be precisely coaxial with the shank. I mean it will want to be in the same (not floating) axis-to-axis orientation each time torque is applied. A perfect floating holder would have zero radial resistance regardless of the magnitude of torque.
I understand that it can be made to wobble, if the torque is low enough, but that's not the same as what is normally considered float.

You'll be much happier after you make a new mid-plate with slots.

I'm lazy . :grin:

Attachments

• IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 28
Back