A lathe finally! Craftsman 12x36 101.27440

Rickard, thanks for the advice. I ended up buying a replacement, so I will not try at this time.

Has anyone seen this kind of horrible gunk for grease?

Well, well! the lathe is in pieces!

Most of them are degreased and derusted thanks to a combination of electrolysis (using washing soda) and Purple Power. :thumbzup:

The electro-cleaning cuts through most of the grease (see previous posts, ugh!) and removes most of the stock paint and all of the spray paint.:worship:

As for the Purple Power, I bought a couple of gallons from Wal-Mart, but the product seems (very subjective) weaker than my original spray bottle. Dunno, maybe.:shrugs:

A couple of mishaps:
- I broke the chipped countershaft pulley by stupidly grabbing it at the periphery with the gear puller. The arms are in many pieces now. Dumb.
:*****slap2:

- As I was trying to remove the stacked pulley from the same countershaft, I managed to shatter the top of one arm of the bracket.

The bracket is cast iron, I will braze it back together, it should be fine.:welding:

However, the pulley is frozen solid on the shaft.:angry: The pulley starts bending with the gear puller, but nothing moves.

I will try to find someone in the valley with a shop press to push it out. Nothing else will do, I'm afraid.:whiteflag:

Anyone in the Phoenix area (preferably NW) willing to help?
:anyone:

The next step will be to clean the legs of the table and the bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good find Jeff, I got a wild idea Ill take a bet that black stuff looks like someone brushed on that
wire rope grease or more like asphalt base, we use to brush on crane cables nasty. When it gets
old its likely you need the torch to scrape it. the other sam

Update:
The cleaning continued with the electrolysis of the large parts. To that effect I built a "coffin" (2x2x6) that I lined with a tarp. In goes a lot of water an a box of washing soda.
EndClean _03.jpg EndClean _04.jpg Stripped_05.jpg Stripped_02.jpg
The bed came out all stripped of paint and rust, as did the bench legs etc. Does it look yucky enough? :whiteflag: I was glad to get rid of that part of the project.

The pulley? I ended up replacing it.
Frozen pulley_01.jpg Stripped_04.jpg Stripped_03.jpg
The old lubricant that looked like varnish was as tough as red Loctite. I had to heat the pulley so much that the edges started to melt. No regrets, I had cracked it before it happened. :shush:

Now I am done with the cleaning/stripping. Yes, there is a complete lathe in that pile of junk.:rofl:
Stripped_06.jpg EndClean _01.jpg EndClean _02.jpg Stripped_01.jpg

The broken arm is brazed back together.
Painting is complete, there will be a separate post on that. The basic headstock, the tailstock and the carriage are back together and the lathe makes chips!

Remains to reassemble the quick change gear box and the covers. BUT I still have the problem of the compound gear, if you remember.

There are 2 identical 10-1552x gears next to each other and one had its 16-teeth part crashed bad.
I got a quote from Clausing ($90) and Sears ($127), found that it was too expensive and decided to take care of it myself.
GearBox_05.jpg EndClean _06.jpg

The gear is clearly in 3 parts: the bronze bushing pressed into the small gear pressed into the large gear.
EndClean _07.jpg

The bushing came out easily.

To separate the gears was another story. No amount of reasonable pressing (or banging) would do.
Following the good advice of my local club members, I milled radially the to the bore of the small gear, to "split the ring" so to say and hopefully relieve the pressure.
It did not budge, so I cut on the opposite side, to no avail.

Out of options, I bored out the whole hub of the small gear. It turns out :)lmao:) that the hub was somehow brazed into the bore of the bigger gear, presumably in a furnace.
Sooo I got a spur gear from McMaster-Carr and soon will be turning a sleeve to mate it to the big one. And of course I will have to skim both ends to the proper thickness.
BTW, they are 16 DP, 20° PA (NOT 14½, don't ask :angry:)
EndClean _05.jpg

Tell you Guys, I think I will have deserved my first lathe! :drink:

EndClean _01.jpg EndClean _02.jpg EndClean _03.jpg EndClean _04.jpg EndClean _05.jpg EndClean _06.jpg EndClean _07.jpg Frozen pulley_01.jpg Stripped_01.jpg Stripped_02.jpg Stripped_03.jpg Stripped_04.jpg Stripped_05.jpg Stripped_06.jpg GearBox_05.jpg

Nice work Jeff. :thumbzup:

When do we get to see the paint job?

Tom

exact same machine as mine, right down to the table with the cast legs. i made a new, more stable table, 1-1/2" of plywood on a monster heavy under frame of 4/4's and 2/4's.. and my gearing is covered with open gear grease also. but i being used a lot, its not turned to tar.
great work.
im suspect the gear problem was very self inflicted, crashing the carriage in and out of forward and reverse before the machine stops maybe ? i find myself rushing the process sometimes.

oh, i put a pair of segment type belts on mine and its now very smooth and vibration free. . you may want to consider that if you haven';t.

you will really like using the machine when its finished.

davidh

Turn on the power, walk away, return in 12 hours and the part is clean, I loved it.
Yes, it just works. My lathe had been spray-painted over the factory paint. Very ugly job. Electrolysis removed all of the spray paint within minutes and 95% of the factory paint by the end of the process.

oh, i put a pair of segment type belts on mine and its now very smooth and vibration free. . you may want to consider that if you haven't.

Still the original(?) belts. I will definitely look at it. Thanks.

Nice job. I just purchased the same unit myself, fortunately I don't have close to the work you have accomplished. One thing my does have is a different size pulley on the countershaft which runs to the motor. I'm not sure if it is the correct diameter. Would love to know the size of the 2 steps on yours so I can verify what I have. Thanks.

This is a little off topic but could someone start a thread on electrolisis? I would like to know more about this process. Thanks in advance for any info. By the way thats some impressive elbow grease you have applied Jeff, keep the updates coming please.:thumbsup:

Back