A lathe finally! Craftsman 12x36 101.27440

I will ask someone if they can identify the wood. I can also take a few closeup shots.
As for my pulley, there was no key at all, that's the funny part :)

Thanks, it would be interesting to know the wood type..

Bernard

The color was a long internal debate.:thinking:

I wanted a light color for visibility and ease of cleaning, not white or gray, and did not want to copy others (Chevy orange, huh?).
My daughter who is a tattoo artist will add a design on the few flat surfaces. (Nah, painted, the needles would skip on the cast iron).:rofl:

When I get to restore my XLO milling machine, it will receive the same color paint.

Thanks for all your nice comments.

You did an absolutely beautiful job of restoring that machine. I won't say anything about the color you selected either. However, that 3 jaw concerns me a bit. Functionally it looks like it fits and it looks like even with stocked chucked into it the jaws will clear the ways while it is in use. With that said, to me that chuck looks just too big for that machine even though functionally it fits. I do not think that Atlas was ever made to swing that much mass on the end of the spindle and I think in the end your headstock bearings are going to pay a price for that weight.

I could be way wrong, but it just looks like far too much weight to me. I will try to insert an image of my totally original Atlas/Craftsman 12" lathe for you to compare against. Either way though you did an outstanding job!

The first 2 pictures will give you an idea of the size of my original 3 jaw as it came with the machine. Pictures further down show my original equipment 4 jaw which while it is a greater diameter, it has hollowed out cavities in the back of the chuck due to it's design which results in much less weight in the chuck. Hopefully, I am all wrong and you are just fine as you are but at least the concern is worth consideration and possible discussion.

Picture002.jpg
PICT0062.jpg
100_0029.jpg
100_0916.jpg
100_0917.jpg
100_0030.jpg

Picture002.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

100_0029.jpg

100_0916.jpg

100_0917.jpg

100_0030.jpg

Picture002.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

100_0029.jpg

100_0916.jpg

100_0917.jpg

100_0030.jpg

Last edited:
Uncle Buck,

The chuck should be OK. I've been running a Pratt Bernerd 6" that looks pretty much like it on my 3996 since about 1982. As I age faster than the lathe, it's gotten heavy enough in recent years that I built a wood install/remove stand out of a piece of 4x4 so I didn't have to worry about either my fingers or the ways when I install or remove it. The machine still has its original spindle bearings with no measurable end float or radial play.

Robert D.

Considering that the spindle bearings are designed to support a pretty large workpiece, plus cutting forces, I don't think the chuck up-size is a problem. It might pose accelerated wear if you maxed out the capacity of that chuck AND were really pushing the cut, but for typical light hobby use, I don't see a problem. It's not like going from a 6" to a 12". That could amount to 4x the chuck weight alone, plus the temptation to put larger workpieces in it. But then again, you would be restricted in -Z- to what you could work just chucking, as you still couldn't swing any more over the cross slide regardless of the chuck size.

I agree hi chuck is fine. I have had an 8" three jaw with 2 pice jaws on my 101.07403 for 10 years with no problems. The timken bearings will suport it just fine.

Uncle Buck,

The chuck should be OK. I've been running a Pratt Bernerd 6" that looks pretty much like it on my 3996 since about 1982. As I age faster than the lathe, it's gotten heavy enough in recent years that I built a wood install/remove stand out of a piece of 4x4 so I didn't have to worry about either my fingers or the ways when I install or remove it. The machine still has its original spindle bearings with no measurable end float or radial play.

Robert D.

Considering that the spindle bearings are designed to support a pretty large workpiece, plus cutting forces, I don't think the chuck up-size is a problem. It might pose accelerated wear if you maxed out the capacity of that chuck AND were really pushing the cut, but for typical light hobby use, I don't see a problem. It's not like going from a 6" to a 12". That could amount to 4x the chuck weight alone, plus the temptation to put larger workpieces in it. But then again, you would be restricted in -Z- to what you could work just chucking, as you still couldn't swing any more over the cross slide regardless of the chuck size.

I agree hi chuck is fine. I have had an 8" three jaw with 2 pice jaws on my 101.07403 for 10 years with no problems. The timken bearings will suport it just fine.

Glad to hear this, I probably don't give these lathes the credit they deserve. I just chalk it up to the relentless badmouthing I have read on other machinist forums through the years giving me a bit of a complex about my old Atlas machines and their capabilities. Though my Atlas machines have done everything I have asked of them. I am thankful for this place and being able to discuss the Atlas brand without being dogpiled and beat for my machines.

jfcayron, you have done wonders with what you started with. Stand proud! Please do a photo session as you restore your mill.

Uncle Buck, your lathe looks like it just came off of the show room floor.

Mule

Back