A look inside Precision Matthews warehouse February 10, 2020

qualitymachinetools

Active User
H-M Supporter - Site Sponsor
I have people ask all the time about our company and machine stock, saying they’ve heard we only order a couple machines at a time as needed and don’t really stock things, or just general questions about if we will be around to support customers in the future. Well I was walking around the warehouse tonight and grabbed a few pics just for people to look at. These were all taken tonight Feb 10th 2020 at about 10PM.

This only shows about half of our current stock, work shop, parts area, etc, I didn’t show the staging area for shipments because you can see customers info on the crates. We are also still in the process of getting the parts inventory shelving sorted, tagged and stocked up.

I get a lot of people ask so I figured while I was out there I would get a few pics!

Attachments

davidpbest

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Matt: 10PM and you're still in the warehouse? Go home an get some sleep already. :)

Thanks for the photos - I knew you had a good inventory, but this helps visualize things at your end. I must admit that I'm a bit surprised that the manual equipment market remains so active. To hear some people talk, you'd think CNC has taken over the world.

StevSmar

Registered
Registered
That’s exciting seeing your pictures knowing my 12x24T lathe is somewhere in your warehouse waiting to be delivered early March!

You've got a lot more stock than I’d imagined.

bakrch

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Wow,

Do you have any machines set up for visitors? My Brother-in-law moved out there a few months ago and we're due for a visit. Would love to stop in and check some things out. Particularly the 833TV and 940M.

BGHansen

I'm betting your original post with the photos will become the new high for "LIKES" on this site.

Bruce

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Wow we have nothing like that here, A much smaller market with a total population of only 25M and only 5 cities of over 1M. when I bought my lathe I had to wait until they were placing an order to have mine included. I think they were ordering 6 machines, like mine only a bit longer, for a trade school. No one here carries much stock of anything.

MikeWi

Active User
Registered
Mine was the same way. I had to wait 4 months to get my PM-1236. Things are much different now. @bakrch All you need to do is set up a date/time with us. with a couple days warning we could have them opened up for you to look at.

qualitymachinetools

Active User
H-M Supporter - Site Sponsor
Matt: 10PM and you're still in the warehouse? Go home an get some sleep already. :)

Haha I am here until 10pm or later most nights, and weekends too, thats when I can really get things done. I stay late and come in a little later since many customers are on the west coast time. Don't feel bad for me, I enjoy it. Although this weekend has been a lot of preparing for tax time, I certainly do not enjoy that part of it!

Thanks for the photos - I knew you had a good inventory, but this helps visualize things at your end. I must admit that I'm a bit surprised that the manual equipment market remains so active. To hear some people talk, you'd think CNC has taken over the world.
Thanks, Matt

Yes, CNC has taken over a lot, but there is still a lot of place for manual machines. We are working on getting back in to CNC soon here though.

What strikes me is the orderliness and cleanliness of your operation. Just one small signal of a well run organization.
Thank you, its not quite where I want it to be just yet, but its getting there. Clean and neat = efficient, there is nothing worse than wasting time looking for pieces or tools, its coming together, just need a bit more time to get it where I want it.

Wow,

Do you have any machines set up for visitors? My Brother-in-law moved out there a few months ago and we're due for a visit. Would love to stop in and check some things out. Particularly the 833TV and 940M.
No showroom, just not enough people stop in, but let us know and you are definitely welcome to come see a machine.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
That's a lot of inventory. :encourage:

erikmannie

Impressive inventory, organization and cleanliness.

Techee

Registered
Registered
Matt, you are an amazing businessman!

Machine design, quality control, customer service, inventory & working capital! I admire successful, hardworking entrepreneurs.

SRay53TxTn

My first post here. I just retired as a field engineer and purchased a PM-1228VF-LB 12x28 for my home garage hobby shop and am so excited to get it, set it up, and start my new retirement fun. I can see this will be one of my favorite sites.

tlrascal

Wow!!! what is that about $4000 worth of inventory? Just kidding I know that is a big investment in customer satisfaction.

Firstgear

Impressive to say the least! That is what I call a customer commitment! People don’t realize the commitment a company such as yours has to make in order to have parts for customers. Having run a couple of Capital equipment businesses people don’t realize the inventory risk financially that businesses have.

Thanks for being there and making the investment! It is appreciated!

ps.....all those crates in the warehouse remind me of Indiana Jones!

Firstgear

What do you use to keep track of inventory (location and quantity) as well as reorder quantities? We used SAP, which works great as long as you follow the procedures, when people go around the system, all hell breaks loose!

Firstgear

Also what people don’t realize is that it is impossible to have every single part for every machine offered. It’s a guess on what might fail and an investment in having the parts on hand. Again, thank you for your commitment!

gheumann

Active User
Hey, Matt!

There will always be naysayers.

I've had my PM1127VF for TEN YEARS. Can't believe it has been that long. In that time it has been instrumental in helping reproduce over $2 Million worth of products. I am extremely happy with it, as well as with the support I've received from you whenever I needed it.

Cheers!

/Greg Heumann

Last edited:
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock