A Straddle Knurler for the Sherline Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mikey i remember reading that you set up a dremel with a x and y table can we see pictures of that? I just cant afford a surface grinder and i think that would do the trick for tiny little things. Obviously nothing critical. I always wanted to take one of those x and y tables and slap a mag chuck on it and come up with some sort of spindle with a z movement.
Didn't use a Dremel; I used the cutting wheel from my Dremel set.

Oops. You're right. Me bad.

No, I used a Dremel cutoff wheel in my drill press that has an X-Y table to cut the knurl pins and the slots in the side of the knurl pins. Worked good.

I'm thinking about getting parts for this. For materials, any reason not to use 303 for the small O1 pieces? I just have a good selection of sizes for that, but only 1" O1. And thinking of cutting that down to 3/16 makes my brain hurt. :)

303 is pretty soft. Given that the half moons take all the pressure, I would go buy some small pieces of O-1 on ebay.

Sounds good. Partly I just wanted to learn more about what metals to use when. It tends to stick in my brain better when I have a project in mind.

Now that I think about it, if you don't plan to harden the half moons then 303 might just work. Annealed O-1 has a Brinnel hardness of 190, while 303 is in the 290's. 303 would probably work okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back