A THIRD GoldWing!

GL1000s recover pretty well from submersion.
But, it does take time. Thanks, but I have several GL1000 manuals. And a '75 for the next project!
5fb03b476c2bd96fea93ff3bd80b011b.jpg
bc7b5b55bd57398277e6bf8665792aac.jpg

GL1000s recover pretty well from submersion.
But, it does take time. Thanks, but I have several GL1000 manuals. And a '75 for the next project!
5fb03b476c2bd96fea93ff3bd80b011b.jpg
bc7b5b55bd57398277e6bf8665792aac.jpg
Nice fix, but what do the bores and gearbox look like?

It's also a matter of how long it's been allowed to sit after the immersion. Long time sitting wet means more corrosion. Everything is fixable, but there comes a point where it's just not fiscally viable....

I had to pull my motor to change the alternator... IMO the GL bikes are the worst to work on...
if I had to do it all again, I would of made new crank shaft pully so I could mount alternator off the front engine.

When my bike was lost due flooding, the water level wasn't high enough to flood the floor in the shop.
Not knowing i pretty much had stream running under my shop, a 6 ft diameter hole opened up inside my shop floor right where my bike was.
I didnt know my bike had fell in the sink hole.
My guess it was in the water for a couple weeks.
Anyway I ended up giving the both GL's. away.
My GL is in the background, the crashed V star was my best friends, He hit a semi that was parked in the middle of a 70mph road right over a hill with its lights off or no flashers, killed him..

1682199154216.png

I had to pull my motor to change the alternator... IMO the GL bikes are the worst to work on...
if I had to do it all again, I would of made new crank shaft pully so I could mount alternator off the front engine.

When my bike was lost due flooding, the water level wasn't high enough to flood the floor in the shop.
Not knowing i pretty much had stream running under my shop, a 6 ft diameter hole opened up inside my shop floor right where my bike was.
My GL is in the background, the crashed V star was my best friends, He hit a semi that was parked in the middle of a 70mph road right over a hill with its lights off or no flashers, killed him..

View attachment 445401
Thats too bad. A good flush of fluids and it would probably have been alright after a good dry out.

I’ve had to do that many times with outboard motors. people drop them off the transom and haul them back out. As long as its flushed and dried and not allowed to sit in open air too long, no harm done. It sitting in open air and wet that messes them up. Forms lots of rust…

yes, I’ve done gl alternators before. Horrible job, buried in behind the back of the entire engine assembly….I used to tell guys not to cone back for at least a week and even then it was a hard “maybe”….

View attachment 445401
Sorry to hear about your friend. We who ride know the risk but it doesn’t make it any easier when you loose someone.

John

Thats too bad. A good flush of fluids and it would probably have been alright after a good dry out.

I’ve had to do that many times with outboard motors. people drop them off the transom and haul them back out. As long as its flushed and dried and not allowed to sit in open air too long, no harm done. It sitting in open air and wet that messes them up. Forms lots of rust…

yes, I’ve done gl alternators before. Horrible job, buried in behind the back of the entire engine assembly….I used to tell guys not to cone back for at least a week and even then it was a hard “maybe”….
When I got flooded out the motorcycles was the least of my worries. I was loosing everything.
And your right changing a alternator in a GL takes days to replace,,

Very often, the crankcase stays pretty well sealed up (vented by the crankcase vent to the air filter, all up fairly high). Water will get into at least one cylinder through open exhaust valve (if allowed to set outdoors without cover, through intakes too). This is how mine went. Worst problem was that both head and cylinders were warped, and valves rusted. Luckily, GL1000 valves are available and reasonable.

One parts bike that I bought was 80% junk - water had entered the crankcase and rust was on the gear faces. Journal bearings and journals were fine, as the oil film protects the surfaces in close tolerances. Junked most of that one.

But my '75 motor in the photos had no water in the crankcase. Surprised that the cylinders cleaned up by "shaving" the rust from the walls with single-edge razor blades clamped in hemostats. That side has better compression now than the no-rust side. Heads had to have valve seats ground due to rust pitting the iron inserts. She runs great, now!

BTW, my 6th GL1000 is waiting in the shed for restoration after I finish this @#%*$ Triumph!

Back