About to buy a Clausing Colchester 1336 Engine Lathe (Master Mark I)

The question would be if there is any benefit to having the VFD setup for both motor speeds, in this case probably not because it is a half speed motor and the Hp is 1.5Hp vs 3Hp at full speed. There is usually additional torque going from an 4P to an 8P. The lathe uses a multiple section rotary switch to change both the wiring for speed and direction, and if I recall this lathe uses a clutch drive system. At the end of the day, I recommended that he either go with an RPC or a Phase Perfect. Phase Perfect now has three low cost models at 3, 5 and 7.5Hp and they are priced competitively with the RPC. Price wise this is also competitive to a VFD install and in this case it may be a bit more complex to redo all the wiring/controls.

I did a lathe install with a dual speed Dahlander motor for a Chinese lathe, I configured my own rotary switch (something like 12 sections), which would switch the motor windings and the input on the VFD for the 2nd motor. It went through a center stop position. Was a lot of work and the motor never performed well. I scrapped everything, got a vector motor for the lathe, and it worked wonderfully. I have also tried other two speed motors and they often do not do well unless it is a constant Hp and then I just run it on the higher pole setting with over speeding the motor.

Two speed motor and replacement vector motor.
Paco's old and new motor.jpg

I don't believe the 1336 had a clutch. There was an air lock switch that started both the motor and the spindle when a lever was operated. When the lever was turned to off, both the motor and spindle stopped. Pushing the lever farther operated a brake. Shifting motor speeds required the motor to be off so it isn't like the Smart Brown that allowed swapping motor speeds on the fly.

I agree that an RPC or PP is the way to go if keeping the existing motor but you want to be sure the motor is good. A vfd and motor conversion is an all in proposition and makes the money spent for the RPC a waste for this machine. If the motor is good, it should be very smooth at low speed. Here is a three speed motor which is unusual but they are still available. Not for the faint of heart or thin of wallet though.

Dave

Attachments

• DSCN3786.JPG
    DSCN3786.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 5
I will write up an account of my small adventure in bringing this machine home, but I have a burning electrical question that I can move to the Electrical Forum if needed but one question is specific to Colchesters. I have successfully wired up a Phase Perfect 3HP Unit and have current on all 3 legs. The lathe will not run with the start lever in the proper up position unless the contactor is manually engaged; then it runs until the lever is pulled down. I’m wondering if this is an issue with the starter (I have continuity across the coil) or there there are cut-out switches I don’t know about that are preventing starting. I have the gear cover in place. Starter is an Allen Bradley 709.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 6
In reviewing the literature the feature I called "cut-out" is known as an interlock, preventing powering up at a time that would increase injury or damage risk.

Brad

Back