About to buy a Clausing Colchester 1336 Engine Lathe (Master Mark I)

This machine came with a Burnerd 8" 3 jaw, a Cushman 10" 4 jaw, a 12" faceplate, a steady and follow rest and this mystery chuck; I call it a chuck because it seems the right size to mount on this l) spindle. Whatsit?

PO kept his QCTP so I'll be shopping for one.IMG_4171.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4170.JPG
    IMG_4170.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4174.JPG
    IMG_4174.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4175.JPG
    IMG_4175.JPG
    436.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4176.JPG
    IMG_4176.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4177.JPG
    IMG_4177.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4178.JPG
    IMG_4178.JPG
    730.9 KB · Views: 13
PO kept his QCTP so I'll be shopping for one.
A while ago, I got a can't refuse offer on an Aloris CXA, and that's what I use on mine - Some will tell you that's too large.
My lathe came with an import BXA, but I LOVE the bigger Aloris - I use 5/8" insert tooling mostly, the adjustment range works ferfectly with that size, and the extra mass helps, I think.
Also, that size looks "right" on this lathe, to my eye, anyway.

Any ideas on the odd chuck-like thing (pictured with a tape measure)?

Probably slots to take the tail of a drive dog. Plus, four slots can give you 4 start thread indexing.

BTW, my Hardinge has a 2 speed motor also. I added roller switches to the high/off/low drum that kick in the vfd after the main contacts close. Works great!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

When you go from low to high, how long do you wait before re energizing the vfd? Dave

I may be wrong but I don't believe the issue is whether the vfd can be programmed for multiple motor parameters but whether it needs the power switched off to change motor speeds. A Dahlander motor with 8 poles that allow 4 to drop out needs to be wired internally such that the drum switch swaps leads to the motor. that in effect means that the motor is being disconnected and reconnected. If the vfd can be powered up but not running the motor while the drum switch is swapping leads, all is well. If the vfd needs to have the power off to do so, there needs to be time between powering down and restarting . In effect the drum switch is between the vfd and the motor. Dave

Back