Accidental hole in cast iron

MrCrankyface

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Yesterday I did a mistake when working on a rear axle and the differential housing(cast iron) now has a hole in it around 1/2", of course on the bottom which would PREFERABLY be sealed tight and not leaking. :rolleyes:

I don't want to risk trying to weld this together, in fear of warping things.
Brazing could potentially be an option I guess but would require me to both get gas burners and rods.

I've heard JB weld might work, but will it attach strongly enough to the cast iron so the oil can't leak through?

Anyone have ideas how to fix my stupid mistake?

duct tape!
How about something from flex seal that have a glue for everything

I believe as long as you clean the hole very well, and follow the JB-Weld directions (for mixing and set-up time) it would provide a long-term, leak free plug.

How thick is the area with the extra hole?

Another idea:
Could you tap it and use a tapered pipe plug? (Along with thread sealer)
1616066292106.png

-brino

I left the scene of the accident so to say quite quickly to avoid getting overly angry over my mistake.. :grin:
I had not considered a plug, I will see if that's possible.
Otherwise I will clean the inside and outside as thoroughly as possible, add some physical indentations for the JB weld to grip and try to make a plug out of it.

Will return with pictures of my adventures.

What is the nature of the hole? If due to something punching though, there will be a strong tendency of the fracture to grow. When repairing cracks in cast iron, it is common practice to locate the ends of the crack and drill and plug to prevent the crack from spreading.

If the hole is because of drilling, it can be plugged. I would tap it to the next larger size and thread in a JB Weld coated plug. If the casting wall is too thin for threads, a patch could be made by forming a "rivet" with two washers, one threaded on the inside and a second outside, and a screw with liberal application of JB Weld to hold it all together.

This would be much stronger than just patching with JB Weld alone,

If other options don't work, cut around the perimeter to clean up and prevent cracks, then put a piece of thick sheet metal, hammer to shape, rivets and Rtv will seal it well.

I would screw a plug in if at all possible. Use.loctite or JB weld on the threads. You can dress it flush and/or coat it with JB weld afterwards if you want to pretty it up.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I wouldn't try to braze or weld it because the critical tolerances of setting up the bearing pre loads and the ring and pinion. The heat will warp it enough to cause problems. If it's in a critical use I would replace the housing. If not what have you to loose by trying some of the suggestions above.

Back