Accidental hole in cast iron

was the upper bracket a mounting point for a Panhard rod? Cool fix, though I'd be tempted to just slap some RTV sealant on the plug and leave it as a removeable (fill or drain, depending on top or bottom) plug for the diff. Make it a feature :)

Have you posted up elsewhere a thread on your conversion project? I love reading about those, they're super interesting and you learn alot of different ways of fixing problems. I help out a friend who buys and partially restores (basically what you're doing but no further) old American classics then sells them to buy another one. Always something interesting going on in his garage.

Both brackets that were circled are for some kind of torque arm(not my photo).
The panhard sits on the protrusion on the left on my photo, behind the axle tube,
21835_7f67f8b367fb4b474f377283f8c8e046.jpg

Maybe I'll try with just a gasket at first, if it leaks it should be obvious fairly quick, being on the bottom and all... :grin:
I'm posting about it on two swedish forums and was considering putting up a thread about it on here but wasn't sure if anyone would be interested!

very cool and very interested! Just go see Alloy's "not a mustang" thread for an example. There are lots of gearheads on here, including some (not me) that do it professionally.

Well, for anyone who wants to read about old cars in horrid shape, I've made a thread here:

Thanks!
What made you think it was from the states? Made me curious!

I was close to driving away and buying a plug but started questioning why I have all these tools if not to use them. :grin:
Quite decent fit and will probably seal up on it's own with some gasket material but rather be safe than sorry and will apply JB from the inside at a later stage once I have the differential taken apart.

View attachment 359866View attachment 359867
Cool project for sure. The plug looks like it would make a nice drain plug. I would install a copper gasket and call it good. Maybe even drill out the end of the plug and glue in a magnet.

Tim

Back