Adventures in 3D printing

I'm not hating, I was just trying to say any tinkering knowledge I was going to say is meaningless to you because I didn't read the first post but I already typed everything out so I posted it anyway for anyone who passes by.

Makerbot and the like get hate because of the cost and low amount of features for that cost. You can buy a makerbot for $5k, take it out of the box and hit a button and out pops a perfect print. To businesses and people who don't want to spend 100's of hours messing around the price makes sense. The type of people who post online are the ones who will spend 1/2 the amount of money and 100's of hours to build their exact machine with the features they want.

Makerbot and the like get hate because of the cost and low amount of features for that cost. You can buy a makerbot for $5k, take it out of the box and hit a button and out pops a perfect print. To businesses and people who don't want to spend 100's of hours messing around the price makes sense. The type of people who post online are the ones who will spend 1/2 the amount of money and 100's of hours to build their exact machine with the features they want.

When I was researching out what printer to buy I Got the sense that part of the hate might have been due to the fact that Makerbot was in the open source movement and then backed out of it to make as you pointed out accurately an expensive product.

Now to some of its drawbacks:
1. small print size of about 6.5-7” in each direction . I think a lot of people who build their own make it bigger. That was out of the question for me as I have never used a printer before.

2. Another is the price of the printer (which I believe is justified because of the quality you get but that’s a subjective judgement) and the cost of materials (which I think again represent a good quality-to-cost relationship).

3. I used customer support once after I broke the clip that feeds the support material into the second extruder (because clumsy noob). I frankly wanted to buy the clip, but they wanted to send it out for free on the warranty but it took them a painfully long amount of time about six weeks or so to do that. So I think they could move a little faster on that.

On balance though I think this is a superb printer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Just printed these from Nylon/CF for my video rig:

818397979dfb1dd87a89256e8a207bdc.jpg

a08b1d63fae9c05ccf657346d746f99a.jpg

c6dcee5da52a09bdb3ba7934854fbaac.jpg

04c813afb7b70c502d52bd81f2db0559.jpg

be1cc2e39ad8cd28809ed99e8cacccd1.jpg

Last edited:
I printed the three parts in the previous post to hold two Voltaic V25 batteries. Functional criteria were:
  • allow the batteries to cool (ventilate) while charging;
  • access the cables, on-off buttons, and LED display;
  • attach to the mirrorless camera and Tascam DR-70D audio recorder that will sit on top of this box;
  • allow the whole system to sit on a tripod via a built-in tripod attachment at the bottom.
  • when not on the tripod, sit safely on a surface like a table, with feet as tall as the tripod attachment;

Hopefully will look like this:
Voltaic holder render 01_small.png

The middle piece will have heat set inserts for M4 screws ffrom both top and bottom (12 inserts) and the lids will sandwich on.

M4x0.7 heat set insert.png

And this is the assembled system; imagine a small camera on top.

Voltaic holder render 02.png

Will still need to design and print an attachment for the Røde GO II receiver and the no-name Amazon bluetoooth transmitter I use to monitor the sound.

Last edited:
What are you using the video equipment for? Just curious.

EDIT: Very nice work BTW!

What are you using the video equipment for? Just curious.

EDIT: Very nice work BTW!

Family trips. We have one coming up in June and a second in September. Lots of anticipatory excitement. I have started doing video (short clips) and very quickly realised that sound is a problem. Nobody notices good sound, but bad sounds immediately ruins a video. My setup, with the camera on top of the audio recorder:

DSCF0449.JPG

It is actually quite portable (sorry, cellphone action shot):

IMG_0674_cropped.png

Last edited:
Very cool. I have a Sony a6000 that I am starting to do more with. The wife wants to do more trips and I need to learn more about photography!

e56d0ff508e54ade4ba58a16ab80da50.jpg

5d70a5a1bc49191e0f8cd2d497657490.jpg

a55d124a8215f7ccced68d81490aac4c.jpg

Looks good; have only used 2 inserts per side. Am already working on version 2.0 That will only accommodate one battery but will have cable management.

Then there is this:

485fed2b63d6229ca79cbf7bf9cc1715.jpg

Back