Air Nailers

These pneumatic nailers are just incredibly wonderful, in my experience. I have a 15 gauge, an 18 gauge and a 23 gauge, each is fully "necessary" in my opinion. I have not driven a nail with a hammer for a long long time, probably never will again. For woodworking, the 23 gauge is great for holding pieces while gluing...the pin is almost invisible. The 18 gauge does the same thing on a bigger scale, and is enough to have some significant strength in joints. Just "pow, pow, pow" until it feels right. :D

Then the 15 gauge comparatively seems pretty huge, so I can join 2x4s with it.

But really I prefer wood screws in the 2 to 4" range for solid yet removable joining.

Edit: 23g Hitachi and two Sencos.

Got a Campbell Hausfeld nailer in a kit with two others. They were, brad, finish and framing. Bought it for the framing nailer. Already had a few of the brad and finish nailer. Wouldn't you know it, the one I wanted, the framing nailer, is broke. The part broken is what they call the valve seat. It really looks just like a rebound snubber to me. WAS made of nylon or teflon but now it's just crumbles. And of COURSE, nobody has it or makes it. Campbell hausfeld doesn't even show it when you search there. Looks identical to the Freeman nailer. Even the parts brakdown looks the same and the model number is almost identical. They, of course, won't answer my emails. Guess you're not supposed to fix this stuff! Mike.

Got a Campbell Hausfeld nailer in a kit with two others. They were, brad, finish and framing. Bought it for the framing nailer. Already had a few of the brad and finish nailer. Wouldn't you know it, the one I wanted, the framing nailer, is broke. The part broken is what they call the valve seat. It really looks just like a rebound snubber to me. WAS made of nylon or teflon but now it's just crumbles. And of COURSE, nobody has it or makes it. Campbell hausfeld doesn't even show it when you search there. Looks identical to the Freeman nailer. Even the parts brakdown looks the same and the model number is almost identical. They, of course, won't answer my emails. Guess you're not supposed to fix this stuff! Mike.
It probably is identical. Probably comes off the same assembly line in you-know-where. Was it cheaper than the Freeman brand? That's what I have, and it wasn't very expensive. I've had the Freeman kit for several years and never any issues. But I don't use it enough for my review to count. A framing contractor would put more miles on these nailers in a week than I have. The kit I bought had 4 nail guns and a staple gun. I can't find that kit now. They have this one which is one gun short of mine and this one which has way more.

That 2190 model nailer is the one that looks like mine. They don't make any parts for IT either. At least I sure haven't found them. Emailed Freeman-no response.

With all the odd sizes/angles of air nails and all thew defective naiilers, maybe we need a nail exchange. I have a bunch of 28 degree I cant use and somebody else may have a lot of 21 degree nails and a broken nailer.

Hitachi is the best I've owned over the years for a framing nailer. All my smaller stuff is porter cable, and they have been trouble free, but I don't use them like I did when I was a contractor. Back then I had Duo Fast, which were much larger and heavier than what is available today. Mike

I miked the spot the seal needed to go in the nailer and had a hydraulic shop order me one. (actually 5). Round rings and would not fit. I found a link that said buy one of these, (nominal 2 inch) cut a ring and put it in the gun. Made several, but one finally sealed it. Also someone on the same thread said a Bostitch #N70155 would also fit.

1692549711059.png

Excepting a few parts you should be able to make your own parts.
Maybe time consuming at first but anything made started out life being made by a tool and die maker, mold maker, machinist....
The automated machines we built simply automated the process.
You can make your own seals and piston rings.
Now cutting some of the materials accurately might make you curse me for the suggestion by hey it's a new frontier.
Port or seat damaged and needing cleaned up? Grind a tool up to the shape you desire......I have many tool bits that have been ground by tool and die makers in the past that I marvel at and I am not sure if I can make . They weren't running production, but they needed a perpendicular seat of some shape ( vee, bell, stepped, multi step or combined)
With accuracy in the depth between steps
for say a piston or check valve, o ring , seal.
Your only limited by your imagination

My problem with this seal was getting an even smooth cut with a box cutter. Finally ground both sides on a belt sander. It leaked a little at first but has now seated in I guess.

Some materials move so much it's hard to cut them Accurately
Your picture with the hose clamps made me think that might be a way to grind a little off the end of a hose or plastic tube to make a square end.
Thanks

Back