Air Tool Whip Hoses

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
Many moons ago when I worked in the mold and die shop we had really flexible 4 foot hoses between the air line hose and the air tools. These hoses had what seemed like a cotton braid on the outside and were not real heavy like air line hose. they were also very flexible to make it easier to use a die grinder because the heavy hose was not working against you. I have been searching everywhere trying to find these hoses but cannot seem to locate any. Does anyone else use these and know where to find them?

Mark

Never heard of this type of hose before but could have used it at McAir, St.Louis. We used air powered drill motors to repair tooling fixtures and frames. I always learn new tips on here.

Thy aren't used as much today as 3/8 air hose is more flexible today. I have seen shops that run 1/2" air hose use them. Also people that work in tight places will use them. But for most they take up to much room in the tool box. If you had 5 or 6 tools in a drawer with 3ft whips on them they become a tangled mess.:apologize:

Thy aren't used as much today as 3/8 air hose is more flexible today. I have seen shops that run 1/2" air hose use them. Also people that work in tight places will use them. But for most they take up to much room in the tool box. If you had 5 or 6 tools in a drawer with 3ft whips on them they become a tangled mess.:apologize:

You are correct but they make using air tools more comfortable and I am not concerned about the space they take as I only have a few air tools which have their very own storage space. The new hoses are more flexible, but not that flexible.

I run a whip or "leader" hose on my 3/8" Snap-On air ratchet for the main reason that the air ratchet itself is quite longe and to put two fittings (male and female) on there would extend the length even more making it an even tighter fit into some locations. I have a 24" leader hose with a small swivel that threads directly into the air ratchet so it makes it much less "bulky" feeling when working in an already tight engine bay. I also have one on my small pneumatic hack saw for the same reason. My other air tools just have normal male fittings to connect my female hose fitting to.

Mike.

I understand what everyone is saying, but the reason to have the whip is not to eliminate fittings. It is a softer , more flexible hose. Much more flexible than regular air line hose. It eliminates the stress and tension of the air hose when using the tool, especially when doing delicate work or long period use. I have one on my die grinder that I bought in 1985, but that tool company is gone and I can't find these anywhere. It is a rubber hose with a soft braid on the outside. It is smaller OD than air line hose and much more flexible. Oh well...... I will keep looking.

A search for "whip hose" turns up many links for places to buy from as well as different lengths.

I use them on my die grinders, have for years. I have three of the flex hoses shown in Krolls link, two in 3/8" and one in 1/4", the 1/4" hose is my favorite with the 3/8" hose being a little bulky. I store mine in a rack that lets the hose hang free below. The black hose in the picture was my first, purchased over 25 yrs ago and still going strong on the third die grinder now.
air tool rack.JPG

Back