Altas Tool Post/Compound Questions

P51 Mustang

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I have an Atlas H54 lathe that I picked up last fall. Between having to reorganize my shop to find a spot for the lathe, the holidays and other things going on that get in the way, I have not really done much with it other than get it moved into its place in the shop. Well yesterday, I decided to use it for the first time to help make a part for my race car project that I have going on. There looks to be an issue with the tool post setting about 1" too high on the compound. I have looked it over and I do not see any way to adjust it down enough to get it to line up with the work piece. The tailstock and headstock align up and centerline of both measure just over 5" up from the ways so that looks OK. I am wondering if the compound on the lathe could be for a 12" lathe. I looked on line and found a couple of photos of what are listed as 10" compounds and they do look to be a bit different than how mine looks. I do not know enough about the Atlas lathes to know if it is possible to put a 12" compound on a 10" lathe but I do know that there are a lot of common parts on the two different sizes so maybe that is possible. If someone has a 10" lathe out there, a quick measurement from the ways to the top side of the compound tool post mounting would be great.

This is interesting if this is the case as the compound that is on the lathe looks like it has been on the machine for a long time and I would assume has been used with the machine (on a 70 year old machine who knows what kind of mix matching could have been done). The guy that I got the lathe from had never used it other than to plug it in to see if it ran and there is no way to trace it back to who would have been the last person to turn parts on it. Looking for opinions on how to tell for sure that this is a 12" compound (if that is my problem) and if anyone has some ideas on a good way to be able to use the lathe. I have no issue with getting a different compound for it, I just want to be sure that I get the correct one. I am thinking about getting a quick-change tool post for it so maybe this could be an option to help get it to work. I have attached a few photos.

Thanks,

Kim Barron

Attachments

• 10 inch Lathe Compound.jpg
    10 inch Lathe Compound.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Cross Slide-Compound-1.JPG
    Cross Slide-Compound-1.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Cross Slide-Compound-2.JPG
    Cross Slide-Compound-2.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Headstock.JPG
    Headstock.JPG
    237.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Headstock-Tailstock Alignment.JPG
    Headstock-Tailstock Alignment.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Tail Stock-1.JPG
    Tail Stock-1.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 48
The one that’s mounted on the lathe is definitely a 12” compound. That will never be able to work on your 10” lathe. The other one looks homemade or maybe a 12” commercial. The measurement from the ways to the top of compound is 3-7/8” on my Atlas 10” lathe.
Mike.

Agreed. The tool post is likely just fine. That's the wrong compound for that lathe.

Thanks for the feedback!! The more that I look at it, it has to be the wrong compound. I got around 4 7/8" when I measured from the ways to the top of the tool post mounting surface, which is right at an inch higher than Shadetreedad's 10" lathe. I will look for a replacement compound for the machine. I am guessing that with the way Atlas shares parts, some of the pieces on the 12" compound could be spares for the replacement 10" compound or maybe I will look into building a home made milling attachment when I have some time using the 12" compound as a Z-axis slide.

I really wonder how anyone was able to use the lathe as it is. I guess it maybe would be possible to angle the tool holder enough to at least touch a work piece but it would not be very nice. There was a lot of brass residue on the machine when I got it so maybe the last guy was only doing soft materials. It really does look like the 12" compound has been on the machine for a while.

Could it be that the whole carriage was changed? I suppose anything is possible

That is possible also I would guess. If this was the case, I am hoping that the carriage is the same but for the compound. Anyone know?

The older one piece carriage is interchangeable with the two piece you have. The compound that you have is as noted for the 12” lathe.
Pierre

Likely your lathe was the earlier model, and someone wanted the improved features. To get them, they installed a complete carriage assembly from a Craftsman version, which had the taller headstock to make it swing 12" work.

I don't know if this is correct, but I would look for a 10" compound assembly on Ebay, and once that was installed, sell the Craftsman compound assembly to recover your costs.

The compound assembly is easily removed by removing the two clamp screws (square head) that lock the angle of the compound to the cross slide. There are wedges that the screws press on, so remove them completely and try to fish the wedges out with a small magnet. Often, just lifting up on the compound and wiggling makes them work their way out enough to release the compound from the cross slide.

Thanks for the input. The complete complete carriage change out is possible as my lathe is fairly early I believe (it had to be a pain to use the lathe with the wrong compound). I do not know the date of my lathe but I do know that it is at least 1945 or earlier as it has babbitt bearings. What are the improved features of the two piece carriage?

Again, thanks

Back