Altas Tool Post/Compound Questions

There seems to be enough meat there to mill off the top of the compound and mill a new T slot in it to remount your tool post. That would be a fun project!!

There seems to be enough meat there to mill off the top of the compound and mill a new T slot in it to remount your tool post. That would be a fun project!!

I second this idea. It is useless to you as it is now. Just an hour or so on the mill. You will have a functioning cross slide.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Milling it down would be a fun project. Only problem is that I do not have a mill. I would like to get a mill at some point but I need to get my race car project on the track first.

Milling it down would be a fun project. Only problem is that I do not have a mill. I would like to get a mill at some point but I need to get my race car project on the track first.

That is a problem.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Or mill it down and simply drill and tap for a QCTP.
Pierre

This the original compound from my 12" Craftsman.

Attachments

• PXL_20240204_141200850[1].jpg
    PXL_20240204_141200850[1].jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 8
That looks a bit different than the one on my lathe. I am guessing that casting changed over the years.

Kim,

Who owns the 10" Compound shown along with the 12" in several views in several of your earlier posts?

wa5cab,

The 12" compound is the one that is currently on my 10" lathe. The one photo of a 10" compound I pulled from an Ebay listing when I was looking for infromation on what was up with my lathe. I believe that the auction for it closes fairly early tomorrow morning (Monday). I could find the link for it if you wanted it.

I bought a 10" compound off of Ebay last night but it is not the one in the photo.

Back