Altas Tool Post/Compound Questions

OK, I suspected that was the case but wanted to confirm it, It sounds as though you may soon have the correct Compound slide to work with. I suspect that the person who sold the lathe to the person whom you bought it from probably knew that he wasn't selling a working lathe.

In the Meantime you can evaluate the babbit spindle bearings and adjust the shims if necessary. If you don't already know how that is done, the instructions are in the Manual Of Lathe Operation (MOLO for short). These turn up on eBay frequently. Average price is $30.00 to $50.00. I would recommend that you buy one copyright and printed between about 1940 and 1945. Be sure that you also get the Supplement One either bound in or separate.
I forget when this became bound in. Note that they also came as both Atlas and Sears. No difference in content as far as I recall. But...

P51 Mustang
If you’re interested in a MOLO I have a spare one or two, maybe three ;). Yours for the shipping cost. Probably around $5.00. PM me your address and I’ll send it. Mike.

wa5cab,

Thanks for your input and comments. I got the lathe for a pretty good price, knowing that it would need a bit of TLC. I was a bit surprised about the compound. Your guess about the guy who sold it to the guy I got it from may be the case.

shadetreedad, Thanks! I sent you a PM.

Back