Am I in over my head? Machine ID

That is one nice big lathe.....Congratulations!

Hopefully the motor was the only issue that caused it to be side-lined. That way with some cleanup, "new" 3-5hp motor and possibly static phase converter, you would have an amazing machine that you'd likely never outgrow......for well under $1000.

It's great that you have a manual too.

I hope it works out great for you!

-brino

Thanks brino!
I was concerned about the head not having oil in it, but after looking over the manual I see that the oil drains down into a sump. This makes me feel much better.

What are your thoughts on using a VFD to strictly convert 1 to 3 phase at 60hz? I'm researching static rotary phase converters at the moment.

I went to look at a 12" Atlas few weeks ago, as I pulled in the driveway it was on a trailer headed out.
I agree, shouldn't ever need much more lathe than this. Thanks for the advice, I'll post questions/progress as I get to it.
I don't get sellers like that. About 8 years ago, I talked with a guy for over an hour one evening, about his 10" south bend he was selling. I all but said I would buy it, the big issue was getting a trailer, but did set up a time to be there. The next morning, I called and spoke to his wife, said I had a trailer lined up, and would be there at the time agreed to (1 PM). I rented the trailer, and drove the three hours, when I was about 10 mins away, the seller calls and says the lathe was sold, and just left. We then stopped for lunch, as we were in line, we say it drive by.

Thanks brino!
I was concerned about the head not having oil in it, but after looking over the manual I see that the oil drains down into a sump. This makes me feel much better.

What are your thoughts on using a VFD to strictly convert 1 to 3 phase at 60hz? I'm researching static rotary phase converters at the moment.
I agree, nice looking machine, I would have bought it.

I have 7, 3 phase motors running off VFD's, they are great. Just remember, you cannot have a switch after the VFD. Use the VFD to do all the switching.

4. I don't have access to 3 phase and don't know that the future will either. I'm not sure what size single phase motor would be sufficient for my work, original had 7.5hp 3 phase, the TECOs 1 to 3 phase go up to 5hp, after that things get expensive. I suppose the machine could be converted to single phase by changing out motor, coolant pump and electronics for single phase.
While not difficult, any motor swap is likely going to involve fabricating some sort of adapter plate as your replacement motor will be smaller than the previous motor. If you can do that just once it'll save you some work. I and others here have had good luck with TECO VFDs. Did you get the pulley from the old motor?

Thanks brino!

There are several threads on rotary converters and VFDs. It seems like once you get beyond 2-3hp, VFD becomes less cost efficient unless you specifically want it for the variable speed aspect. Rotary convertor is also useful on multiple machines so if you get one for the lathe, and then later find a 3 phase mill, you are all set as long as the motor is of similar power.

Thanks brino!

The problem with the VFD is you need to modify the circuitry in the lathe itself since VFD’s need to be directly connected to their loads (motor) without any switches in between.

It’s an awesome setup @mksj can help with it but a static converter is cheap and you can just hook it up to the main power input for the whole machine and start using it.

John

I purchased this machine Friday, it was supposed to be a package deal along with a smaller Clausing 15x50. However when I arrived the other machine had already be sold. I ended up purchasing this 15x60? and a Kalamazoo 13" bandsaw.

On to my issues, I can't seem to positively ID this machine or find any numbers on it that make sense.

The Bad: This thing is huge and heavy. The cover over the gears was removed some time ago, seller didn't know why.
Motor was removed and missing.
A few handles are broken off.
Threading gears look chewed up and I think I'm missing some.

This is my first lathe, I'm not scared of it just don't want to spend and arm and a leg on something not worth it.

Anyway if anyone can help with ID, I can get a manual and source parts. Thanks
View attachment 366951

View attachment 366952View attachment 366953View attachment 366954View attachment 366955
Is the chip pan around anywhere? They slide in and out like a drawer.

Won't be cheap, but an option for anything you can't find used or make yourself.
No, they had the pinion gear for my Colchester. I think it was $750. I then realized mine was fine.
I never bought it.
They did have lots of parts for my early 70's 15X50 Colchester.

Back