Am I in over my head? Machine ID

So through a very extensive google search I think I've determined its a Model 8041. Which my luck gives 0 results for parts on ebay or otherwise and very little help from Clausing Industrial... Ill be on the look out for head cover, change gears etc.

I looked at that manual but disregarded it because the machine pictured in it is similar but doesn't look exactly like mine. Are all the 8000 series internals the same?

I'm perturbed that a Google search brings up only 1 result and that is for an auction.

You are right....that last one is for a 17" lathe and not quite the same......darn!

-brino

I'm going to call clausing tomorrow, the guy there emailing me has just been sending random manuals :)

Ill be on the look out for head cover, change gears etc
Time to start making parts. I can't remember if you have a mill or not. If so many parts can be made on a mill. A head cover made from aluminum or even fabricated from fiberglass. If you end up not finding change gears, you can make them on a mill. (I've done it using a HV rotary table, tail stock, Chinese gear cutters and a broach. Not all that hard.) My lathe has 3phase 3HP and I don't think I've ever used all of it. A long time ago I ran tools on a home made rotary phase converter. Worked fine for several years. A used 3 phase motor about 50% larger than what you need to drive, big capacitor(s) a couple of switches, an enclosure.

Time to start making parts. I can't remember if you have a mill or not. If so many parts can be made on a mill. A head cover made from aluminum or even fabricated from fiberglass. If you end up not finding change gears, you can make them on a mill. (I've done it using a HV rotary table, tail stock, Chinese gear cutters and a broach. Not all that hard.)
I've got a Clausing 8520 that I just got running, still needs the gibs adjusted and a learning curve program... I plan to upgrade my membership here so I can use the For Sale section and pick up some much need tooling and instruments. I feel comfortable making the gears, I've been watching This Old Tony for years now and feel like a DIY expert :cool:

The comment about doing a Cough42 style threading screw is a possibility, concurrently working on a CNC plasma, so if I can get that working a digital threading screw shouldn't be too complicated.

Heck, maybe Ill start a youtube channel while I'm at it...

The statement about what 3-phase static inverters will not do is at best misleading. Probably 99-44/100's of all static 3-phase inverters are used to run 3-phase motor off of single phase lines. On the schematic above, R and T come (probably through a single phase and a 3-phase breaker) directly from the single phase 240 VAC line if using a static inverter. Whether there is anything on S or not, all of the control circuits will still work.

Back