And the winner is ?

No, it doesn't work as well. It's much slower and it stinks. Tried it. But it is great for removing mill scale.
I would have to disagree. I e used vinegar on dozens of projects and it’s never failed me yet. Unless you throw in some spring steel. That’s a no no! When you add the costs vinegar wins. Availability to some
If it removes mill scale then it’ll remove rust.

i use vinegar as well. Mainly on mill scale but i use it on rusty stock too. I already have it and it's cheap. It does stink so i let it sit outside.

Have not tried evaporust, i assume it isnt cheap. How long will a gallon last? Is it re-useable?
Joe

i use vinegar as well. Mainly on mill scale but i use it on rusty stock too. I already have it and it's cheap. It does stink so i let it sit outside.

Have not tried evaporust, i assume it isnt cheap. How long will a gallon last? Is it re-useable?
Joe
Yes, evaporust is reusable, I just did an entire toolbox worth of rusty stuff and it worked from the first batch till the last. After that I strained it and will use again.

Only used about half a gallon, in a plastic container on my workbench. No stink.

I’m a happy customer, sure it’s a lot more expensive than vinegar. But if I leave something soaking for days it’ll be fine when I get back to it.

Probably did about 8 batches last time, no sign of it becoming less effective at all.

John

@ltlvt, try the EDTA one more time, with two changes- make the solution from hot water, and add about 10% by dry weight sulfamic acid powder against your weight of EDTA. I haven't tried it yet, but everything that I see on the backs of my eyelids says it's gonna work real well.
Where do you get the sulfuric acid powder. I am thinking that the Evapo rust might be safer.

I haven't patented it yet. :cool:
I used powdered sugar and 100% Boric acid. Supose to take it down into the nest and kill all of them. What did seem to work on wasp is the apple juice with Boric acid in an empty bottle with a stick in the bottle. They take it back to the nest and it kills the larva. They use the stick to crawl in and out of the bottle of liquid. Nothing I have tried works on Mud Daubers. I will take wasp over Mud Daubers any day. Becaue the Mud Daubers are so destructive. I am on my 3rd conpressor motor because of the Daubers building nest inside the windings.

Yes, evaporust is reusable, I just did an entire toolbox worth of rusty stuff and it worked from the first batch till the last. After that I strained it and will use again.

Only used about half a gallon, in a plastic container on my workbench. No stink.

I’m a happy customer, sure it’s a lot more expensive than vinegar. But if I leave something soaking for days it’ll be fine when I get back to it.

Probably did about 8 batches last time, no sign of it becoming less effective at all.

John
My experiences with Evaporust are the same as yours. I have a 5 gallon bucket and it will likely last my lifetime. I love it!

I used powdered sugar and 100% Boric acid. Supose to take it down into the nest and kill all of them. What did seem to work on wasp is the apple juice with Boric acid in an empty bottle with a stick in the bottle. They take it back to the nest and it kills the larva. They use the stick to crawl in and out of the bottle of liquid. Nothing I have tried works on Mud Daubers. I will take wasp over Mud Daubers any day. Becaue the Mud Daubers are so destructive. I am on my 3rd conpressor motor because of the Daubers building nest inside the windings.
I've been using boric acid mixed with canned cat food for yellowjackets. It's the one thing I have found that they will really go for. A tablespoon of cat food mixed with a capful (the red thimble cap off the bottle). Sometimes I have to put out a second dose on the same day. Started using it last year, we had NO yellowjackets this year. Of course it could have been the wet June.

I am a firm believer that anyone who ever says "vinegar works better" has never tried Evaporust.
I agree vinegar works well for mill scale and Evaporust works well for me on rust removal, I found both work better if heated or in a warm environment and I leave the material in both overnight.

Back