Another Chip Shield

You're right, nope I would have never thought. I could not accept any credit whatsoever for your ideas, that's all you, mine was just a simple shield. Yours looks like it covers basically everything one could think of. Spectacular work! :encourage:
Thanks!

Very nice, I really like the sliding section.
I've been looking at making some shields for my mill, I've gotten as far as buying some poly carbonate panels. I was planning to use magnets, but to deal with the issue of steel shavings I got these small plastic boxes for the magnets to go into. I'm hoping that will work like those magnetic pick up tools where you lift the magnet and the shavings fall off, but worst case I'll just take the magnet out and clean off the box. Then put the magnet back inside. If the magnet collects shavings no big deal because it will be inside a plastic box where it can't hurt anything.

Reactions: tjb
Looks great. Well thought out design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tjb
Very nice, I really like the sliding section.
I've been looking at making some shields for my mill, I've gotten as far as buying some poly carbonate panels. I was planning to use magnets, but to deal with the issue of steel shavings I got these small plastic boxes for the magnets to go into. I'm hoping that will work like those magnetic pick up tools where you lift the magnet and the shavings fall off, but worst case I'll just take the magnet out and clean off the box. Then put the magnet back inside. If the magnet collects shavings no big deal because it will be inside a plastic box where it can't hurt anything.
That's an interesting idea. I would very much like to see photos of the plastic boxes you've described and what you're developing. The 'tripod-style' design on mine makes for a very sturdy base, but I would still like to investigate other options.

I have one of those pick-up tools you described, but I needed a smaller one that could be used to reach into the base cabinet on my lathe. Here's a photo of the one I made for that purpose several months ago (sitting on top of its store-bought big brother).

IMG_0377.jpg

I never thought about incorporating that idea into the chip shield. Hmm...

Regards,

Nice work! I might have to "steal" ideas from this. The flycutter makes one heck of a mess.

tjb, Please tell us about that truck in your avatar.
1954 Chevy 3100. Complete frame-off modification:
- Firebird suspension, front and rear
- Built Chevrolet 4.3 V6, replaced throttle body with Edelbrock 4 bbl carburetor
- Dual exhaust/custom headers
- 700R4 automatic
- replaced the wooden bed with steel out of a Ford Ranger pickup - nearly a dead-perfect fit
- seats out of a BMW (don't remember model)
- all custom gauges
- power steering
- 4 wheel power disc brakes
- power windows
- air conditioning
- all new tinted glass
- custom fuel tank with filler neck mounted on rear quarter panel (see note below)

Other than that, it's pretty much stock.

Here are some before-and-after pictures:

1C Combined.jpg

2C Combined.jpg

3C Combined.jpg

4C Combined.jpg

NOTE:
That fuel tank modification is actually what got me interested in machining. I had a steering wheel bezel that worked perfectly for a beauty ring around the filler neck, but it needed about a 32nd of an inch milled off. I took it to a machine shop and watched him mill it. That was the kiss of death! I was hooked and have been diving into machining ever since.

Thanks for asking.

Regards,
Terry

Nice work! I might have to "steal" ideas from this. The flycutter makes one heck of a mess.
You don't need to steal it. I posted it here for the very reason that someone might benefit from it. I consider it a woefully inadequate expression of universal gratitude for the great advice I've received from so many of our experts and more experienced hobbyists. Just about everything in my shop is based on tips and recommendations I received here. THRILLED that some others may benefit from the design.

If you want any specifics, just let me know.

Regards,
Terry

I made this chip shield out of clear plexiglass and some scrap aluminum. I did a lot of head-scratching before beginning the build. I tried to anticipate every conceivable application with regard to size of milling projects and safety. Once I zeroed in on these criteria, I came up with a design. The end result has a center panel and two 'wings'. The center panel also has upper and lower adjustable panels to allow for over-sized milling projects. The wings are connected to the center panels with hinges I made from 1/2" aluminum, and the rods were from a piece of leftover 1/4" brass rod (would've liked to keep that one, but I didn't have any scrap 1/4" rod available). The movable parts are secured with stationary threaded studs and wingnuts - no need to hunt for a wrench. The three-panel design allows for adjustments in essentially every dimension to accommodate small to large milling projects.

The unit is very sturdy sitting on the vise, so I'm still trying to decide if I want to add magnets to the base. I'm trying to avoid that if possible - I anticipate I'll be using this regularly for steel projects.

Regards,
Terry

View attachment 330958 View attachment 330953View attachment 330954 View attachment 330955View attachment 330956 View attachment 330957
Verrrrry nice job.
:clapping:

Back