Another Chip Shield

Nice looking truck and chip shield too tjb
I swear for a second from your photos I thought they were from my shop... i had to look closer on my phone to be sure. You have almost the same vise and plywood walls and wood table covers. That helps cleanup for sure plus you dont lose drills and stuff rolling into the t slots.
I took a more minimalist approach to shielding with a slip on pc of some mystery plastic on hand at the time.
Also one of the reasons for putting the mill in a corner was to semi- contain chips to a more confined area.
For side chips I ghetto rigged (o crap can we even say that anymore??) a small moveable one using pressboard and a vblock vise jaw for weight.
Not perfect but keeps the big stuff from getting all over the wall items and collapses for quick easy cleaning and storage or for job setups!! Pics make it look way too clean but in reality Ive used the heck out of it. And I dont ever use coolants just air or small drips of oil etc
5c5ed0bc0691544214b2da53dec5894c.jpg

3e2cb9961f940a29851a66caab1a4d3e.jpg

db3b1a9783e404f6be68923b3892289c.jpg

200818e9ebb8ac97c3e0aa5faeaaca49.jpg

I swear for a second from your photos I thought they were from my shop... i had to look closer on my phone to be sure. You have almost the same vise and plywood walls and wood table covers. That helps cleanup for sure plus you dont lose drills and stuff rolling into the t slots.
I took a more minimalist approach to shielding with a slip on pc of some mystery plastic on hand at the time.
Also one of the reasons for putting the mill in a corner was to semi- contain chips to a more confined area.
For side chips I ghetto rigged (o crap can we even say that anymore??) a small moveable one using pressboard and a vblock vise jaw for weight.
Not perfect but keeps the big stuff from getting all over the wall items and collapses for quick easy cleaning and storage or for job setups!! Pics make it look way too clean but in reality Ive used the heck out of it. And I dont ever use coolants just air or small drips of oil etc

Very nice! I actually thought about attaching mine to the threaded holes in the front of the vise as you did. I like the slotted cutouts to allow for easy removal or adjustment. Clever.

I see what you mean about similarities in our shops. Great minds think alike!

Nice drill chuck, too, by the way.

Regards,
Terry

These are the magnets and little boxes I was planning on using. Thought I'd probably just silicone the box to the poly carb sheet. The boxes came from Tap Plastics (I love that place) which is also where I got the poly carb sheets. The magnets are cheapies from Harbor Freight but pretty strong.

magnets.jpg

I was looking at the whole thing as semi-consumable so didn't want to get too involved with it. I'm only into it for about $20 so figured if it lasts a year that isn't bad.

These are the magnets and little boxes I was planning on using. Thought I'd probably just silicone the box to the poly carb sheet. The boxes came from Tap Plastics (I love that place) which is also where I got the poly carb sheets. The magnets are cheapies from Harbor Freight but pretty strong.

View attachment 331308

I was looking at the whole thing as semi-consumable so didn't want to get too involved with it. I'm only into it for about $20 so figured if it lasts a year that isn't bad.
Thanks, Aaron.

I actually have some magnets similar to yours. I used two of them in the mini-magnetic sweeper I made. That sounds like a good idea to put them in the plastic boxes. I'll need to visit Tap Plastics.

Regards,
Terry

Neat idea. I've been using those magnets in small ziploc or plastic bags (often ship with tooling). I originally kept them in the packaging , and that does *not* work. Problem I've been having is the magnets getting dislodged too easily, causing the chips built up on the way cover to fall where you least want them.

Reactions: tjb
I made this chip shield out of clear plexiglass and some scrap aluminum. I did a lot of head-scratching before beginning the build. I tried to anticipate every conceivable application with regard to size of milling projects and safety. Once I zeroed in on these criteria, I came up with a design. The end result has a center panel and two 'wings'. The center panel also has upper and lower adjustable panels to allow for over-sized milling projects. The wings are connected to the center panels with hinges I made from 1/2" aluminum, and the rods were from a piece of leftover 1/4" brass rod (would've liked to keep that one, but I didn't have any scrap 1/4" rod available). The movable parts are secured with stationary threaded studs and wingnuts - no need to hunt for a wrench. The three-panel design allows for adjustments in essentially every dimension to accommodate small to large milling projects.

The unit is very sturdy sitting on the vise, so I'm still trying to decide if I want to add magnets to the base. I'm trying to avoid that if possible - I anticipate I'll be using this regularly for steel projects.

Regards,
Terry

View attachment 330958 View attachment 330953View attachment 330954 View attachment 330955View attachment 330956 View attachment 330957
Really nice ! Excellent photos, thank you.

Reactions: tjb

Love these ideas. I have some 'junk' 1-2-3 blocks that I'm going to press into service using your ideas.

Love these ideas. I have some 'junk' 1-2-3 blocks that I'm going to press into service using your ideas.
Good idea, David.

Make sure to post some pictures of what you come up with.

Regards,
Terry

Back